cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay listings in Indian languages - Hindi Tamil etc

raghunath_krishnan
Community Member
Just a suggestion to eBay India. Why can't we provide sellers to provide details of the listing in their Indian languages also?

While listing, let sellers have an option to choose the language or languages in which he/she wants to have the listing to be displayed. Even, they can enter the listing details in multiple languages of their choice. This will enable buyer,who is not fluent in English to view the listing in the language of their by choosing from a dropdown. When a seller provides the listing details in multiple languages(whatever he knows), buyers from diversified regions will be able to view in their own mother tongue, thus bringing greater reach.

When eBay provides sites in languages like Chinese,German,French, why not for Indian languages too? That too just for the listing page?

In countries like our Mother India, people are not used to English driven Internet. In this case, user reach may be minumum. But, with multi language concept, reqach may be bigger.

Opinions please.....
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

Good opinion but the listings must have an English version alongwith an optional regional translations. After all if I list in Bengali and no English translation is there then the buyer group will be too small.

I must say that this still looks far from reality as our net market is still in a very nascent stage.

Now some personal opinions about use of English. In India, in 99%+ cases people get in to Internet thru English commands. So they are likely to know some basic English. I think that basic knowledge is good for most of the listings.

I prefer to use English for all official and net jobs. We are not from a developed country who has gathered resources from multiple colonies for hundreds of years and have made the country a rich one. They can think of the luxury of discarding English. We have to develop and help our country prosper faster. Now we are getting more and more opportunity to use our skills and hard work for the developed countries for various out sourcing jobs and thus bring back some wealth back to our country. To bring back the money from those developed countries I think we should better not ignore English and develop it more, else we are likely to loose even this opportunity to China. .
Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

raghunath_krishnan
Community Member
Thanks Swarup. I really appreciate your feedback.

My intention is not to ignore English display in the listings. s I said in my suggestion, if they provide a dropdown with the languages in which the seller wants to display the listing, it would be great for the community. They can choose from the drop-down as to in which language they want the listing to be displayed.

When you provide options to display in regional languages like Tamil, Hindi, etc, it will be helpful for the persons who is not fluent in English. People still from the illetrate classes don't know about what is "Terms and Conditions", "Privacy Policy" etc. They just know that, to use internet , i just need to type www.yahoo.com or some other site they know of. Also, there are Self-Help-Groups(SHG) and Kaadhi product manufactuers in states like TN, Gujarart, etc. They are well to and efficient sellers with high volume of sales in selling their products in local language. If they list their products in eBay.in people from other regions can also purchase the products, which will help people from regional businesses to enter the country market and grab a share.
Also, computer manufactures are now going to introduce regional language based key boards for those who don't know English. So, if these people make sure of multi-language listing, then the reach will be more.

Your opinions are most welcome.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply