cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help regarding courier of Gold and Diamond Jewellery

nkjewellersbaroda
Community Member
Dear Members,
I am new to Ebay and currently dealing with gold and diamond jewellery. I would like to know how to send my gold and diamond jewellery in India. I am unable to find any courier services which delievers jewellery in India.
If anyone knows about it, please email me to nkjewellersbaroda@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi,
Speedpost from the good old post office accepts precious stones and jewellery.
"We acceptGold coins, Gold ornaments, bullion, precious,stones or jewellery provided the value of such insurance does not exceed one lakh rupees. (Earlier, the Limit was Rs. 10,000)
The maximum weight limit increased to 35 Kg from 20 Kg.)
Insurance facility as a value-added service for corporate customers under inland Speed Post as well as International Speed Post"

Make sure you insure your item for the full value. Also it is trackable online.
http://indiapost.gov.in/SpeedPost.html for more details.
http://indiapost.gov.in/Premium.htm to calculate the cost of shipment.
Regards
Onesimpleman
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

Go for SpeedPost. Those can even be sent by Regd. Post for Metro deliveries, if the customer have 2-3 days more to spare. However, it should preferably be insured. .
Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hello onesimpleman,
I have missed you for a long time.I still remember how you helped me in those early days.
I want to say something which may be useful.There exists a departmental circular in indiapost which is probably dated 17/11/05.Mind you,this is not for public.They have stopped stamping merchandise on such articles,though they will not give anything in writing.Speak only.About insurance,well,they just wont under some pretext or other.
One option is,there are FOREIGN POST OFFICE,like the shipz in Bombay, in other cities also run by indiapost where they do it after customs clearence.
Inside india,you just send by registered post or courier. Nobody going to check that.Legal or illegal I dont know.I am not shipping atom bomb or drug.Shipping currency by courier is banned.But pple just do it by packing nicely.I send my legal money to real pple.Where is the wrong.
Please forgive me telling truth.
Thanx ,Truly,Amitava
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
Hi,

Many couriers doesn't allow Jewellery as its always a high risk.

The best way to go is for Speed Post as many suggested. But the problem is there is Speed Post available for most of the towns.

Go to a courier company like Blue dart, ask them about and mention on the package box so that it clearly indicates what's inside.

Also Insured couriers / speed posts are to be must if you are sending high value items. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hi Amitava,
Registered post is good for low value items, but when it comes to Gems and Jewellery ( and other high value items) it is always better to use a service with tracking and insurance.
Tracking is vital if you want to protect yourself against chargeback. You can have a buyer buys a high value item from you and then tell you that he has not got it, Credit card company will issue charge back if you do not have tracking. I think speed post is the only service which will carry Jewellery, and is trackable.
Insurance is vital ( not going into legalities) because you cannot claim the money back if it gets lost in post unless it is insured.
As Amitava rightly pointed out it can be a pain in the neck to make the post office staff do the insurance. I had gone through it myself. I went and saw the post master of the concerned post office and told him I will be taking the matter to consumer court if he do not relent to my request for insurance. By law they cannot advertise it and turn it down. My company regularly send merchandise these days by speed post insured.

Also it is nice to see you are doing well on ebay!! I have been busy on some projects and did not get the time to get on ebay.in forums!! Nice you remembered!!
Regards
Onesimpleman
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hello Onesimpleman,
I just want to tell you that the link you gave of the indiapost has revolutionased the Calcutta GPO.Now they will do everything.Many employees asking for the copy of download print.Guess they didnt know what they were doing really.
Thanx my friend,
Truly,
amitava
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

posting.id.in
Community Member
HELLO,

Post charges 6% for insurance.

Can the eBay business model afford such high insurance charges?

Hi posting id,nice meeting you after a gap.,
You are right.But isnt it better than no insurance?
Thanx,,Truly,,Amitava
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

mitfab2010
Community Member
dear members
i wish to carry diamond jewellery to different cities in india to sell.is it legal to carry own jewellery for selling. in case of checking at airports ,railway stations etc what is the solutions in case police questions us. what documents should be carried as proof
Message 10 of 10
latest reply