How do Nigerians commit fraud?

baazee-superstore
Community Member
Hi everybody I have one doubt and I would like to ask you guys if you can help me, See almost every day I receive these Orders where the Buyer wants the shipping in Nigeria or say Africa and all of them promise to pay by BID PAY OF WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER now I have heard a lot about these Orders being Fraud by eBay has never told us how and exactly what will be the fraud like, Like say for e.g. if some seller is going to ship any order on eBay he only does after receiving the full payment from the Buyer so even in this case he seller is only going to ship the Item after the full credit of he WESTERN UNION CHEQUE gets credited in his account so here I am little confused that if the seller gets the full payment then how can he be defrauded.

I want EBay and my fellow sellers who have been the victim of this fraud please explain me and the other sellers about their experience with these orders so that the picture becomes 100% clear on the minds of eBay sellers

Regards
Madhu Uppal
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How do Nigerians commit fraud?

deltamarketing_in1
Community Member
Hi! Beware of people from outside Nigeria buying and asking you to ship to that country. They want to pay by BidPay or Western Union as that way they can send you a fraud mail which you will think is from these agencies confirming that the amount has been approved and the check mailed to you. The buyer will then pressurize you to ship the item immediately as it is a Birthday Gift for a niece etc. otherwise he will leave a negative feedback.As you would have received a fraud confirmatory mail, you will ship out the item but will never receive the money of course. Also remember that these people will always send you an offer ouside Ebay by asking a question in your listings and making an offer. So do not be taken for a ride - do ensure that the buyer is a Registerd eBay member and then proceed. Good Luck! Delta Marketing
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

cmanjunath
Community Member
Madhu!

I think you are correct. My first selling experience itself has been bad.

There was this user called Aadi_raju who had bought quoted a very high price for my cell phone. His address on ebay was mentioned as Bangalore.

However, he asked me to send the item to Nigeria, when I had clearly mentioned that the itme would be shipped only in India.

He said he is currently out of india and wanted me to ship the item to a friend in NIgeria, as he wante dto gift it to that person.

He said he will pay bia western union, when he could have actually paid thru Paypal or direct account transfer.
I then started getting mails from Bidpay staing that I have a money order sent and so on for a very high price. I was asked to ship the item first, give them the shipment no. and then they would send the Money order.
I checked with a local Western Union agency and they said that the Money orders will not be accepted in India.

I informed the same to the buyer and he said that he could not acncel the money order and that I have to ship the item to him and then he would transfer the money using Western Union transfer.

This obviously is FRAUD.

ALL EBAY SELLERS! BEWARE OF SUCH GUYS.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

hakim-azar
Community Member
Hi, my name is Greg, from Poland (Europe). I have also bad experiences but not with nigerian staff, but romanian. This is TRUE what my pre-talker said, they usually USE 1-western union 2-bid pay or other.
then of corz You receive FAKE CONFIRMED MAIL from this agency, but... the most important is to...
1- check their IP, if ur agency is in India and the IP looks for Nigeria or US it means... FRAUD 😞
2- for me the most important is... TO PAY MONEY VIA BANK TO BANK so I'm surprised sometimes that You forbid to pay via bank 😞 it is the most secured way.
3-sending money via bank PLZ REQUIRE also the full address of account owner. it can happen the name is the same but address is different and sb else can get money. of course identification if on fake ID which looks lokie original.
4- sometimes that ask You to send them ONLY the SCAN of confirmation letter from WU for example, then take all datas go to teir agency and pay-out money, why ? cause very often worker of this agency co-operate with him taking some % from each transaction.

the ways are many, if u want to talk about it my yahoo msgr is pawlak79, so we can talk directly.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

josefbuckland
Community Member
YUP this has to be a scam. I love ebay and Iam very dedicated to putting my trust in fellow ebayuers If someone wins somethingI send it out immediatley and they can pay when they can BUT i recently solld My Apple Powerbook its expensive enough BUT sadly I needed the money a fellow has sna[[ped it up but the emails all look TOOO SUSS And he is in the UK says he needs it sent to Nigeria for his Girl freind. AND so BIDPAY says you have to use thewir couriours. SO IF I just EXPRESS posted with Insurance it would be $50 BUT DHL or FED ex the so called Couriours for Bidpay reccomends. WELL DHL said I would need to pay $500 on the spot and the user has not sent another email saying his bid pay was credited I dont thihk i will go ahead with this transatcinon FAR tooooo spooky I specifically said Direct Deposit and PAYPAL only. NOPE it is so If you are in doubt PLEASE dont do It. I hope it does not mean I get negative feedback but I refuse to sell THATS Not fair BE CAREFUL and please lets keep E-bay a nice place.

THE User to be aware of is: thomase5941

JUST TO MAKE IT WORSE he has NO HISTORY and is not registered
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

atulnc1
Community Member
the money you have received MAY BE BY STOLEN CREDIT CARDS OR OTHER MALPRACTISES DONE BY THE NIGERIANS,IT BETTER TO ACT SAFE THEN TO REPEND AFTERWARDS.

ATUL
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

yawyaw
Community Member
Hi,
I've also encountered this type of scam today. I am wondering what steps should I take? I have spent a lot of money for insertion and listing fees etc - is there a way I could tell eBay such that they could let me relist for free?

Also, what if this Nigerian person (who has 0 history) gives me a bad review?

Please help!!!

cheers
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi am Philip, from NIGERIA.. well i have been on ebay for just about a year or so. well before i started using ebay i was told that

don't ship items to Nigeria. so after i did a little asking around i discovered that "some" Nigerians before me (long time ago) decided to paint us(law abidding Nigerians) BLACK, by defrauding foriegners online not only on ebay but on many other online trading websites.. but i guess with the coming of Paypal doing bussiness on ebay and other sites have been made easier... so please don't

just put a TAG on me because am a Nigerian...

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 8
latest reply