Tips for sellers selling on eBay

indraneel@ebay.com
Community Member
It has always been our endeavour to understand how buyers use different sort functions on eBay to search for the deals they are looking for.

What are buyers looking for?

Today’s consumers want choice, great deals, unique products, customization and specialization. Now this is not to say that we’re seeing the end of mass marketed, commodity products. It’s only to say that buyers are also hungry for something unique. They like new ideas, bundled offers, products and concepts. They like hard to find, obscure, up and coming brands. All this at great prices!

And the easiest way to find success as an eBay seller is to offer these kinds of products. Buyers in this segment are happy to search through 10 pages of results to find the product that is right for them. It pays off handsomely in terms of steady sales.

Specific & relevant selling

This means which listings are the most relevant to the buyer’s search. The more generic your product is, for example “silver hoop earrings”, the more likely those buyer search results are to return thousands of listings and pages and pages of search results.
And the harder you will have to compete (with all the other listings) to get your listing on those first pages of eBay's search results.

Importance of Keywords

In ecommerce, KEYWORDS play a vital role. Keywords, much more than browsing, are the way that the majority of people will find what YOU have to sell. Therefore, it is important, that no matter what you sell, you pay close attention to the keywords you use to describe the products you sell. Are they accurate? Are they relevant to your product? Are you using brand names, model numbers, colors, styles, descriptions, feature names, describing the functionality of the product?

Even if you STOCK the best products in the world, if you are using vague, non-descriptive keywords in your title and listing descriptions, shoppers will be hard pressed to find your products.

How shipping charges impact your visibility in search results?

With the increased competition in eCommerce, buyers have become much more sensitive to shipping costs on eBay. Expensive shipping is a reason some buyers leave eBay.

Hence eBay has made arrangements for listings that provide good shipping prices and offer the best opportunity to deliver great buyer satisfaction. Factors such as Relevance, Time Ending, Seller Performance, and Shipping & Handling decide where you are placed on the search results. The better you are on the above fronts the higher buyer visibility you gain through your listings placed on the first set of pages with search results. We recommend that you offer ‘Free Shipping’ which helps you increase your Shipping & handling DSR scores and thereby catch the first sight of the buyer.

Offer ‘Free Shipping’ to enjoy buyer’s preference

Free shipping deals play a major role in whether consumers buy in a store or online. 18% of respondents said they shop in stores so they won't have to pay for shipping and 33% said they have bought from web site instead of a store because the retailer offered free shipping. Three out of five online customers said the availability of free shipping greatly influenced their choice to shop at one e-retailer instead of another.

Avoiding shipping costs was the third most common response for why shoppers choose to buy in a store rather than on a retailer's website, behind the ability to receive the product immediately and being able to see or feel an item before purchase.

Moreover, consumers gave the retailers offering free shipping higher scores in every satisfaction category than those not offering it. The categories include: likelihood to purchase online, brand commitment, likelihood to return, likelihood to recommend and overall retailer satisfaction.

E-retailers are realizing that free shipping is a major selling point, the study shows. 68% of shoppers recall some kind of shipping offer – a percentage that has increased steadily over the last three years, 20% of holiday customers surveyed said they saw no free shipping offers over the holidays, while 12% did not remember.

Join this workshop to learn more about how buyers search for deals, variety and exclusive items on eBay.

See you on –
Wednesday, 11th February, 4 – 5 PM to learn more on selling on eBay.

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding 'Selling on eBay' on this thread.

Regards,
The eBay Team
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

rajasah.7932
Community Member
I have a downloadable version of Norton Internet security 2009 which I received it as a gift from my friend ,can I sell this on ebay..If yes then can it be listed under used product or new as its a 2 Year subscription product and I havent used it yet..Your suggestion and advise will be very helpful as I am a new user

Regards,
Raja
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Hi,
Free shipping not only adds to FVF,it also discourages buyer purchasing multiple items,because some hidden shipping cost is clubbed with item cost in such cases and buyer is unable to gain for combined shipping.
I offer free shipping in low value items I list at ebay US.This is for FB hunters and also to gain access to less than 10$ free shipping search result.This is not to make money but to attract international buyers.
In the present scenario,my this effort is also almost futile because of western recession.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

indraneel ji !

i will try this

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

tachusglobal
Community Member
to raja: I think eBay has prohibited selling digital materials.

to indraneel: I strongly agree with Amitava. And you should restart the market research subscription which given an idea to sellers whats selling hot.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

pcpriceline
Community Member
Dear Indraneel,

I think the way a product listing is also created can make a significant impact on converting visitors to buyers.

Suggest you have a look at a few of my listings and revert please.

Warm Regards,
Chetan Chawla

===
PCPriceLine.com
" eBay's Newest Mega IT Store "

Visit our store at http://www.PCPriceLine.com
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

cornelius77759
Community Member
I want to sell my house which is a flat at Jaipur in the most posh are
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

venusjewellers
Community Member
well the best thing ebay can do to the sellers is refund the listing fees if items does not sell,,
bcz in the last few months we have noticed ebay invoices r much much higher thn ebay sales,,
so we request ebay to pls refund our listings if our item does not sell,, it will encourage sellers to list more and more and at much beetter price,,
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

i offer all item in store with free shipping
when i was charging shipping charge i give buyer combine shipping discount and buyer get more cheap item then right now when i offer with free shipping
but now when buyer buy more then one item don't get any discount
3 months free shipping records of my sales shows that 0% multiply item buyer which was when i was charging shipping charge and discount it was 10% about
why eBay don't make change that we can give discount in free shipping also for more then 1 item buyer because we already add shipping cost in item price
eBay think that in free shipping couriers company don't charge us any?
if ebay make change that when buyer buy more item in 1 time payment can get discount from item price what seller want to offer to buyer
if you make this change i am sure who buy one from seller add also more then one
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

home_n_lights
Community Member
eBay rules are too rigid for sellers and too lenient for buyers .

As a result , sellers have to devote a lot of time whereas casual buyers are just too many .

In my case , wherein we sell ipods and other computer stuff , 90% of the buyers do not pay after winning the bid!

Most of these scruplous buyers are ones who have registered for fun and try out ebay by bidding & winning !!! In many cases , addresses are irrelevent & phone nos are fake .

I would like to suggest following changes :

1. eBay should not charge any listing fees for items which were bid but not paid.
2. eBay should make it mandatory for every new buyer (at least less than one month old) that he/she can bid only after giving their credit card details/online payment , so that as soon as bid is successful , paypal debits the card and releases shipment instruction to seller.

Without this , bidding is just a joke and does not have any authenticity ! Only giving a "unpaid strike" is just not enough !

Hope my suggestions will not fall on deaf ears !
Message 10 of 26
latest reply