NEW MEMBER - Verification

interwings
Community Member
Dear Rohit,
Good Morning!I have a suggestion for scanning new member who is opting to become eBay member.

Before that I would like to thank eBay for giving me FVF-Credit for an UnPaidItem.I thought eBay will be having complicated,time-consuming FVF process.It is highly inspiring and encouraging experience for new members like me.Thanks once again.Keep-it up.

Suggestion:
1.eBay can ask for a Proof of Address-Copy of Voter's ID,
Driving License,Ration Card,Postal ID.
2.Proof of Phone Number-Copy of Telephone Bill/Cell Bill(
Current Or 2months previous)
3.A provision has to be done in eBay Page-where the person
can Paste the Copy of their Proofs[.jpg format]like
listing.
4.They can Post/Courier such Proofs.
5.Only on complying with the above documents,has to be
registered as an eBay member.
In this way fraudulent Bidders/Buyers can be filtered.Within no time eBay will prove to be the BEST platform.

If you differ from the above Suggestion,please revert back
to me.

Regards,
interwings
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

snrama
Community Member
Dear interwings,

Your suggestion is good. eBay should verify Buyers also.

Also congratulations as you got the Final fee Credit! ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,
There have been several suggestions of similar nature on this board.. Many have suggested for atleast optional verification and preference for the members not to deal with unverified members. eBay officials have replied that they are considering those. Hope such an option will be implemented. Best Regards 🙂
Swarup Dutta
Kolkata
Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

rohit@ebay.com
Community Member
Hello interwings,

Thanks for your detailed suggestions. I shall forward it to the concerned teams for their consideration.

As emailswarup has mentioned, I have written about this issue in another discussion. Copying what I have written elsewhere:

'Considering that India is such a nascent market for e-commerce, our approach so far has been to try and get as many users as possible to try trading (bidding or listing). However, we do realize that this, at times, ends up becoming more effort for our genuine users to find quality buyers and sellers. Hence, we will be focusing more on the quality of the users we will be bringing to the site through our various marketing activities in 2006.

At the same time, this is not an easy task. One of the reasons is that there is no single easily identifiable property to identify users (such as the social security number in the US).'

I am a bit concerned about your suggestion, because I am afraid we might be asking for too much effort from an user to simply register. This might end up causing a lot of our genuine users to not register as well, which will not be beneficial for our sellers.

Having said that, let me assure you are looking at how best to address this issue. We shall keep our members updated about this.
Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Community Development Team

Thanks and Regards,
Rohit,
Buyer Engagement Team
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi Rohit,
In PayPal one can operate both as unverified and verified with varying limits. You can at least introduce something similar.
2-3 days agao, I was looking at some postings on this board which can escalate to a major fraud involving lacs of Rupees. Verification and authentication will reduce such incidents as you will be better equipped to report a crime. Best Regards 🙂
Swarup Dutta
Kolkata
Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

srjsms
Community Member
with regards buyer and seller verification how about giving me a contract.??? im having a tie up with several agencies around the country, and i can make use of these tie ups for buyer / seller verification. will ebay / sellers be ready to bear a small charge for verification..including address / landline / credit verification ???
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eldrid_in1
Community Member
well i would suggest that eBay need not ask users to paste jpeg files or ne such proff of residence as these can easily be tamepred with.What i would suggest is that have a guy go over to the concerned address and take a signature of the concerned person like what most mobile operarors do today..
Message 7 of 7
latest reply