Is eBay promoting PIRACY!!!

bharathiyam
Community Member
I dont believe this... Adobe Photoshop CS2 Software which is sold for Rs.40,000+ in the market is being sold for Rs.50/-. Seems like eBay is promoting piracy.

I was just dumb-stuck to look at the rates of the softwares, this is just unbelievable.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

eBay's security dept. often remove listing of Laptops /PCs with pre-loaded licensed manufacturer installed softwares. They should better check those authenticated cases as reported by you.

Said that, in present scenario, its next to impossible to stop software piracy in India, at least in my opinion. .
Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards ๐Ÿ˜„
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

techchase
Community Member
If eBay keeps good survillance and gives new sellers a few guidelines and brefing (online small tutorial) before they sell in any category it will help.

Many sellers are not aware that they are violating the eBay rules.

Regards
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

bharathiyam
Community Member
Hi,

There are total 811 New items sold at Rs.100 - Rs.250. They include WINDOWS XP, NORTON, ADOBE all this software are mentioned as NEW and ORIGINAL. If this is the case, what would happen to a seller who is selling original software by paying for all the fees to ebay.

Definitely this is not worth it. Seems criminals & fraudsters are abound on eBay India (Sorry for using that word). GOD SAVE US.

Regards,

Venkatesha
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

bharathiyam
Community Member
eBay Probably has to look into its AUTOMATED PROCESS serious.

Recently one of listing was removed saying - Unauthorised Copies (Copyright). Now this is a book - JavaScript Examples Bible which is not a media as mentioned by eBay India. The reason provided for removing the listing is:

The following information may help explain the reason for your listing(s) removal:

eBay prohibits unauthorized copies of media (such as software, video games, music, television programs, and photographs). Unauthorized copies include (but are not limited to) backup, pirated, duplicated, or bootlegged copies. It is both illegal and against eBay policy to sell unauthorized copies of copyrighted media.

NOW i am completely confused here. This book is not pirated or unauthorized copy, we pick up this book distributors or directly from Publishers.

I think eBay India as to serious looking into its AUTOMATED POLICY PROCESS which just catch thing which are not actually has not violated the policy.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

gibberishh
Community Member
I don't think anything can beat my experience with the oh-so-honest Ebay team!

I once bought a pirated e-book (as proof), then lodged a complaint against the seller with Ebay. I also wrote to the publisher of the book informing him that it was being pirated on Ebay. The publisher raised his hands and claimed that "there is nothing we can do about this."

Ebay wrote back to me with the standard templatised message that they understand that sometimes transactions are not smooth, but if I had any problems with the seller, I should try and sort it out with the seller. The link in that email took me to the Dispute Console. A copy of my complaint was sent to the seller.

Trust me ladies and gentlemen, that I had used the 'Report Piracy' feature to report the issue, but obviously Ebay took no cognizance of this and the seller merrily continued selling the item, after sending me all sorts of snide comments.

The answer: YES, EBAY IS READILY ADVOCATING PIRACY
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

srijime123
Community Member
I am surprised to know when the cyber law is in force and piracy is a criminal ofence how, ebay is promoting those ebay shops to sell piroted softwares where I am now victimised.The shop was anouced the item to be new and when I received the item, found only the piroted softwares.How ebay is going to protect me now
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

srijime123
Community Member
This is veru unfortunate and I got my experience after being cheated through ebay only who is primarily responsible for such iresponsible creation only
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

krazy-deals-4-u
Community Member
hi..

the other day someone from the ebay sales team called me to ask me to revise a few listings and to enquire in general if i had any problems... hence i told them that piracy was the biggest problem....genuine product sellers are mis treated and these pirates are kept on ebay.. they said...they cant track each and every item listed...

this answer is vague, and it appears that the selelrs of genuine licensed software may contribute as transaction fees 400 rs.. for one genuine software sold.. however in a week the pirates sell more than 2000 copies and contribute not less than 2000 rupees to ebay... hence the sluggish approach...

secondly, as it happend in the notorius MMS case, where the head of baazee was arrested....i guess...NASSCOM should take cognizance of such offences - since ebay would be in a position of an accomplice in a criminal act
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

nvid@ebay.com
Community Member
Thank you for pointing out the possibility of suspected item. We urge you to proactively report the same using
href="http://pages.ebay.in/help/contact_us/_base/index.html">Contact Us

We have specific policies that doesnโ€™t allow any Pirated or Illegal / unauthorized copies of software on eBay.in
http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/recordable.html
http://pages.ebay.in/help/policies/bootlegs.html

Additionally eBay developed the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program to facilitate cooperation between eBay and rights owners protecting their intellectual property rights.

Highlights of the program include:

1. Expeditious removal of listings reported to eBay by over 5,000 intellectual property rights owners.
2. Proactive monitoring and removal by eBay of listings that violate eBay policies designed to prevent the listing of infringing items on eBay.
3. Ability to save searches and have the results emailed to you through Favorite Searches.
4. Suspension of repeat offenders.

However, because eBay cannot be an expert in your intellectual property rights in all categories, and cannot verify that sellers have the right to sell the millions of items they post on eBay each day, we need your help in identifying listings which do not appear on their face to infringe your rights.

I also suggest you all go through this link on
href="http://pages.ebay.in/help/confidence/vero-rights-owner.html">Protecting Intellectual Property
that explains the
Protection available for all rights owners on site and the mechanism for to safe guard they copy rights

Let me reiterate eBay doesnโ€™t allow any Pirated or Illegal / unauthorized copies of software and I urge members to proactively report any such listings for appropriate action using
href="http://pages.ebay.in/help/contact_us/_base/index.html">Contact Us
Regards,
Nvid
Regards,
Vidmay
Message 10 of 12
latest reply