HIGHER THAN THE ACTUAL COST

ilyas.sherkhan
Community Member
HELLO,AS PER EBAYS POLICY WE WILL GET LOWER THAN THE ACTUAL PRICE,BUT I HAVE SEEN THAT NOKIA E71 IS 1000-1500 EXTRA THE ACTUAL VALUE.
IN SUBIKSHA,E-ZONE,THE MOBILE STORE I HAVE FOUND THE COSTING OF E71 THAT WAS 19700,20160,20029.& IN EBAY I HAVE SEEN 21300,21400........?
WHAT DOES IT MEAN,THE SELLER IS CLEVER & THE BUYER IS FOOL...?
EBAY SHOULD FEED A DATA OF PRICING SO THAT EVEN THE SELLER CANT GO BEYOND THE MARKET PRICE..
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

nivas_v
Community Member
Hi,
I am very new to ebay. When I saw the items in ebay I was really excited to know about the items and its price. I started searching for good items and offcourse experimenting on ebay goods also. Recently I have bid for 2 items microsd card and one mobile. For mobile the seller has given a list of features it has. By seeing those features everybody definetely get attracted towards it, and finally I got the mobile. But hwne I saw the mobile it looks good but it accessories(charger and headphone) are really bad, and there is no quailty in them and at the same time head set funcationality is very bad. When I contacted the seller he is saying that he has not mentioned that head set is hiher quality. So my question is when they list out the features of an item very attractively why ebay don't enforce them to list the drawbacks of the item. so that user can easily choose the good items with full knowledge. as we believe in ebay is a gret source for buying items I think they should enforce this on their sellers.
sorry I am not aware of all the features of ebay. If I put wrong comment please apologise me.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hello,

ilyas.sherkhan

There is no rule in India or ebay that prices should be lower than other stores. While it is true for a number of product lines, where online prices are lower than offline, in some products or sellers prices can be higher due to many reasons. Major one being that offline card acceptance charge is only between 1.5% and 2% but on ebay it is an absurd 4.5%

Now you would ask why would anyone buy a product at say Rs.1000/- more than an offline store. Dear Sir, I would like to inform you that you are lucky that you live in a metro and have access to stores like ezone, mobilestore.in and subhiksha. However there are many small towns and villages in India where people do not have access to such bargain stores and a high end mobile may not be available at the nearby stores. But there is a demand for such products in these small markets. Hence buyers from such places would not mind paying 2% - 5% extra and get the product from ebay.

Many buyers from abroad can gift to their near and dear ones in India such products and they would not mind paying a few dollars more for this convenience.

I have given just a couple of reason for buyer to buy at a little higher price there are certainly many more.

nivas_v,

No Seller in this world will highlight negative points of their products.

Have you ever seen an AD for Pepsi or Coco Cola which says their drinks will cause Obesity?

Even a company like Nokia when it sells mobiles with same specs 3660 and N73 will never highlight that even though the 3660 has same or better specs than the N73, the 360 is a vastly inferior phone to N73 in most aspects. It is only when you buy and compare you will realise that the company sold you a very inferior phone but than you pay about Rs.3000/- less for the 3660.

The same way ebay seller will and should not highlight negative points about their products unless they are selling second hand product and need to list the defects in the products.

Now as a buyer before making a purchase you should read reviews (online / offline), take feedback about the product from friends / relatives. Check the feedback of the seller and make an informed choice.

-----------

Devesh
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello Devesh,
1)There is very little scope to manouvre prices of new items.I sell hobbies and collectibles.I sell less than catalogue value when I got excess stuff.But I sell more than catalogue value when availability in market is low.
2)Also for old items I highlight bad points.They also sell,but at a lower price.
Old hobbies and collectible items you get cheapest in ebay.Also private dealers are not able to offer so much varieties.
This is true for gemstones also.
Dont get anywhere,look up in ebay.
Thanx for reading.
Truly,
Amitava
Message 4 of 4
latest reply