cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are answers to "Ask seller a question" binding ?

I would like to request an authoritative answer to my question from an eBay staff member.

Most buyers are probably aware of the "Item significantly not as described" clause which is meant to protect a buyer. But what about certain points that are not mentioned in the item page itself, but are clarified by asking the seller through "Ask seller a question" ?

The clarification may be about the item itself, about shipping or payment, etc. For example, a buyer may have asked for a particular method of shipping and the seller agrees. Is the seller's clarification binding on him - the same as if he had mentioned it on the public item page ? Can it be used as a basis for filing a claim ?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi,
No. If that is offensive, you may click the report link.
But if it is a potential buyer, you may always reply.
Thanx,
Amitava
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi Amitava, I'm not sure what you mean by your reply. Let me expand on my original question by giving some examples :

Example 1: Suppose a potential buyer asks through "Ask seller a question" for some detail about the item that is not mentioned in the item page. Based on the seller's reply, the buyer decides to buy it. But when the item arrives, it is not as the seller described it in his reply.

Example 2: Suppose, before committing to buy, a potential buyer asks if the seller can send the item by a particular mode of shipping and the seller assures him that he can. The buyer then commits to buy. However, the seller then says that he cannot ship it by that method, OR he sends it by another shipping nethod which causes a lot of problems for the buyer.

Please note that I do NOT have any such problems now. These are just hypothetical situations, but they COULD happen. If such situations actually arise, what is eBay's policy ?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi,
Telling lies is bad.
Ebay does not like that.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Amitava, are you drunk or mentally ill ?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hello pimpom_in1,
One should not mention features that are not there in sent messages that cant be deleted, just to push sells. Okay? I am not drinking alcohol for last august after my operation. I am not mentally sick but ofcourse I am physically not well.
Thanx,
Truly,
Amitava
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You're still not getting the point, Amitava. The question is NOT whether a seller should or should not discuss matters that are not mentioned in the item page. It should be clear enough that "Ask seller a question" is provided so that prospective buyers can ask about things that are not mentioned or are not made clear on the item page.

You also seem to think that I am a seller. I am not. I'm basically a buyer, and a careful buyer will (and should) base his buying decision on the seller's answer to questions in "Ask seller a question".

My question is whether a seller is bound by eBay rules to anything he says in his reply to such questions. Many questions in the forum can be answered by other members, but questions like this really need a definitive answer from a member of the eBay team.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply