Useless SMS verification for buying on ebay

golden.box
Community Member
I own two selling ids on ebay and this is my new seperate buying id. Today i wanted to bid on an item on ebay and placed a bid. The error i got is that seller needs the buyer to be SMS verified before he bids on his item. I entered my mobile number that i have for the process and i get an error message as below:

The cell phone number you entered has been used for verification by another member.
Please make sure you have entered the right number.

I own only one mobile and how am i supposed to provide a new fresh mobile number every time i open an account on ebay? I can provide some other family members mobile number but than ebay gives annoying calls to those family members at odd times for some promotions and they have no idea about ebay. I can request the seller to exempt this id from the rule but i am not ready to beg to each and every seller to please let me bid on his item.

Some of the procedures on ebay are quite impractical and funny.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Useless SMS verification for buying on ebay

akaggarwal_eshop
Community Member
Hello,

As a seller i use the same buyer requirement as well due to the large no. of hit and run buyers (bid, win and never return) on eBay India.
I was however not aware of the fact that 2 eBay IDs cannot share a mobile no. for verification.
Anyways most reasonable sellers would have applied this SMS Verification requirement to buyers with feedback score "0" or lower (eBay gives an option upto "5" or lower) so once most probably once you get a feedback score of 1 (or in worst case scenario 6) you will no longer have to contact the seller.

PS: On an unrelated note, even in spite of having this block in place one of my items was just won by a 0 feedback member with wrong contact no. - don't know how me managed to do that ?:|
PPS: When you are blocked due to buyer requirements, do you see an eBay message clearly explaining why you've been blocked or just some generic message?
Message 2 of 2
latest reply