Buyers - Learn More about Buyer Protection Program

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Dear Users,

Lately some of our buyers have complained that they are facing difficulty in understanding the Buyer Protection Program (eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program) on eBay.

In this workshop we will like to explain you the various nuances of the Buyer Protection Program and will also like to solicit your feedback on how we can improve the process.

Host: eBay Staff
Date: Wednesday, 31st August 2005
Time: 6.00 to 7.00 PM (IST)

Hoping to see you on 31st!

Warm Regards,
Sapana
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

avertek_infosys
Community Member
Hi Sapana

I wont be able to attend the workshop at 6 PM. So here is my suggestion. A link to Buyer Protection Program should be given on all listings if possible with Warranty/return policy. So that the buyer knows about this program before placing order. A link can also be provided in all correspondence e.g. when a seller sends him an invoice or winning notification email through ebay.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

vandy@ebay.com
Community Member
Hello Everybody,

Welcome to today's workshop on buyer protection. I am Vandy from Trust and Safety Team. On the boards we have found that some of you are having difficulty in understanding the buyer protection process. Today I will take you through the complete process of buyer protection and will be happy to field your questions on the same.

I will be posting the details now and will start taking questions from 6 PM to 7 PM.

Please feel free to ask the questions that you have in your mind.

Regards,
Vandy

Regards,
Vandy
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

vandy@ebay.com
Community Member
ITEM NOT RECEIVED PROCESS

1) Where can I file an Item Not Received (INR) dispute from?

A) INR can be filed from

My eBay > All Buying > Won > Specific item click on the arrow under action and Report an Item Not Received

Site Map > Buyer Tools > Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process

Services > Bidding and Buying Services > Safe Trading > Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Disputes

2) When can I file an INR?

A) Buyers can begin an Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described dispute between 10 and 60 days after the transaction date (this is the date when the buyer commits to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it).

3) I am unable to file an INR, why?

A) Please note that you would be able to file an INR process between 10 and 60 days after the transaction date (this is the date when you have committed to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it). You would need to wait a minimum of 10 days to begin the dispute.

4) What details do I need to submit to report an INR dispute?
A) Depends on the payment mode selected by you, you would be required to mention the details. For e.g. if you have chosen demand draft you will be asked to give the DD details like DD number, DD date, Amount etc.

5) Where can I view all the INR disputes filed against me?
A) You can view the Dispute under the Dispute Console link under related links.

6) How can I respond to the dispute filed by my buyer?
A) To respond to the dispute, click on the View Dispute link under Dispute status for the respective dispute. On the View Dispute Respond page you will get various options to respond to the dispute. You can select from any of the 4 options available, i.e.1. I haven’t received payment or the payment has not yet cleared 2. I already shipped the item. , 3. I'd like to offer the buyer a full refund. Or 4. I'd like to communicate with the buyer about this transaction.
Click on Continue once you have selected the reason.

7) I have already shipped the item and my buyer has filed an INR dispute.
A) As you have already shipped the item, I request you to respond to the dispute and mention the shipping details. You will need to choose the second option of " I already shipped the item" in Dispute Console.

8) How can I view what the seller has responded?

A) The seller’s comments can be viewed under Messages. Messages can be viewed once you click on the view dispute link for the specific dispute. You can reach dispute console from My eBay >Dispute Console.

Regards,
Vandy

Regards,
Vandy
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

vandy@ebay.com
Community Member
eBay Standard Purchse Protection Program (Buyer Protection)

1) I can’t complete the transaction, my item has been damaged. The buyer has paid how I can refund.

A) In that case I suggest that you respond to the dispute filed by the buyer. Select the reason - I'd like to offer the buyer a full refund, and then enter the refund details on the next page.

2) How can I close the dispute against my seller?
A) On the View Dispute: Respond page you will be able to see 3 options.

1. I'd like to add a message to seller and continue communication.
2. My concerns have been resolved - I want to close this dispute.
Choose this option if you and seller have resolved the matter.
3. I feel I have no other option but to escalate this to a claim.
Choose this option if you want to escalate to an eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program claim.

If the matter has been resolved select the 2nd option and close the dispute on the next page.

However, if you feel that the matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you want to escalate the same to an eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program claim.

3) I am unable to submit an eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program claim.

A) You will be unable to submit a claim if the sale price of the item is below Rs. 50.00.

4) My seller is not responding to my dispute, what do I do?

A) You can close the dispute :

1. If the seller does not respond within 10 days.
2. Anytime after the seller responds and at least 17 days have passed since the item listing closed.

5) Can the Item not receive complaint close automatically?

A) Yes if you don’t choose to close the dispute within 90 days, it will automatically closed by the system. One must choose either of the reasons referred in Q10

6) When will I receive the payment once I escalate my case to the claim department?

A) It will take 45 days from the time you choose the option of escalating a claim.

7) What should I do after I choose the option to escalate to claim?

A) After choosing the option of “I feel I have no other option but to escalate this to a claim”. select the appropriate dispute from the dispute console, click on the claim form, fill in the required details review for accuracy and submit the same. With in 72 hours you will receive an acknowledgement. If not received you may write to eBay Claims Administration ..

Direct link to claim form: http://pages.ebay.in/help/community/frs-claimform.html
8) I have not received any update on the claim even after 45 day?

A) It is a rare occurrence, may we request you to write to eBay Claims Administration .

9) What are the Buyer Protection Criteria?

A) You may refer to the help page: http://pages.ebay.in/help/tp/esppp-coverage-eligibility.html

10) How would I buy safely on site?

A) You may refer to: http://pages.ebay.in/help/confidence/overview.html

11) Step by step guide to buyer protection:

A) You may refer to: http://pages.ebay.in/help/tp/isgw-buyer-protection-steps.html

12) What is the coverage amount under Buyer protection?

A) You ll be reimbursed up to a maximum of Rs.10,000 (less Rs.50 to cover processing costs).
For example:
• If the item price is Rs.15,000, youre eligible to receive Rs. 9950.
• If the item price is Rs.10,000, youre eligible to receive Rs. 9950.
• If the item price is Rs. 51, youre eligible to receive Rs.1.
The maximum reimbursement for any claim is Rs. 9950.

Regards,
Vandy

Regards,
Vandy
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

vandy@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi avertek_infosys,

Thanks for your suggestion on promotion of Buyer Protection Program.

As you might have noticed, we are already promoting Buyer Protection heavily on Buyer Home page along with various theme blocks. The same is also being promoted via widgets on buyer home page.

We will definitely evaluate your suggestion and keep the community updated on any developments.

Regards,
Vandy

Regards,
Vandy
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

indiaarvind
Community Member
Hi Vandy

The fist and formost problem is that the buyer is not aware of such a Program. So promotion of the program is important.

If a buyer makes payment through a credit card and the item is not as described should he file a chargeback or Buyer protection program will be applicable.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

vandy@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi indiaarvind,

Regarding your point on Promoting Buyer Protection, the point is well taken. As I mentioned in my earlier post, we will definitely look forward to how we can better promote buyer protection.

Regarding your question on "If a buyer makes payment through a credit card and the item is not as described should he file a chargeback or Buyer protection program will be applicable. "

I would like to clarify that Buyer Protection Program will be applicable wherein you need to provide the letter of denial of Chargeback from the Credit Card Company.

Thanks for bearing with my typing speed:-)

Regards,
Vandy

Regards,
Vandy
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi Everybody,

We will be concluding the workshop now.

This thread will be live and Vandy will keep on visiting it regularly. We will love to hear from you on the topic. If you have any further query please feel free to post here. Vandy will try to find answers and let you know as soon as possible.

Warm Regards
Sapana
Community Development Team
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

sha2172
Community Member
Hi,
The seller is not responding correctly to my query on shipping cost for 3 items bought from him. He is charging me the same amount as that for one. Is that fair? You mention- Save on shipping, buy more from seller! How is that correct in this case? Each item is being shipped at the same cost as that of one along with individual Insurance!
Please help.
Regards,
Sha2172
Message 10 of 10
latest reply