cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Indian debit cards accepted to pay seller fees?

kunal_ashar
Community Member
I've been trying to register as a seller on eBay India for a long time, but have been unsuccessful. Here's why:

1. The eBay website advertises that debit cards can be used to pay for seller fees
2. When I try to use any Indian debit card, it fails, and eBay asks me to contact support and my bank (no reason given)
3. eBay support basically gives me a canned response that's totally irrelevant, and says "contact your bank"
4. My bank (ICICI) says Indian debit cards cannot be used for online transactions.

(I can't use credit cards because I just moved to India and I don't have a credit card).

I've been shunted from eBay support to ICICI bank support and back and forth so many times that my frustration is growing with each passing day.

What gives? Can anyone help here? Are debit cards actually not accepted and is eBay's website incorrect? What can I do (without a credit card) to become a seller on eBay India? What other modes of payment would work? Has anyone else faced this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

pcpriceline
Community Member
Hi Kunal,

ICICI & HDFC have a method to generate an instant online Virtual Credit Card. The same is generated using your debit card along with its PIN number. At HDFC it is called HDFC Netsafe service. You can predefine its payment limit also.

These virtual credit cards are only 1 time use and will expire after 24 hours.

What you can do is generate a virtual credit card using your existing debit card and use that to make eBay's payment.

I have already tried it and it works well.

Warm Regards,
Chetan Chawla

===
PCPriceLine.com
" eBay's Newest Mega IT Store "

Visit our store at http://www.PCPriceLine.com
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

kunal_ashar
Community Member
Thank you for that info, Chetan. I wish all eBay support personnel were as knowledgeable and helpful as this.

I registered at ICICI Bank's equivalent of HDFC's Netsafe (https://www.3dsecure.icicibank.com/), but the debit card still didn't work on eBay.

After you posted your reply, I've read from most posts that HDFC's VCC for their debit cards works. I supposed it worked for you too?

I'll open an HDFC account only for this purpose, and only if I'm sure that HDFC debit cards can be registered as VCCs and that they do work on eBay.

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply