eBay Employee

Open House on Trust and Safety with Sharat Digumarti - 16 Mar (4-5 PM)

Hi,

Please join Sharat Digumarti, Sr. Manager – Trust and Safety, in a discussion on how to keep eBay safe. Sharat will be discussing with you the initiatives taken by TnS to keep the site safe and future plans. If you have any questions on any trust or safety related topics, feel free to post them on this thread. Sharat will answer them during the Open House

Host: Sharat Digumarti, Sr. Manager – Trust and Safety
Date: Thursday, 16th March 2005
Time: 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm (IST)

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Sapana
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sapana@ebay.com
Hello Sharat,

There has been no action on the SNAD and SNP issues despite many promises.

You had said there will be an Indian dispute resolution mechanism simillar to SquareTrade sometime in January. IT is March and are still waiting for it.

Or is this just another instance of "Promise and Forget" policy which eBay.in has been following since last one year?

Where are the changes in the proof of resolution which is asked for the SNP suspended seller?

We had discussed on a time limitation for Online Disputes.
No action has been seen on this.

What about accepting valid PODs by leading courier companies (which will not contain the complete address of Buyers). These are proof enough for charge back protection (online PODs are accepted by PaisaPay) and Insurance claims but not good enough for TnS?

What about Negative and Neutral Feedback being considered as Online Disputes and proof of resolution being asked for the same? If buyer has a dispute he will file an ODR. Feedback should never be considered as a dispute.

I have buyer(s) complaining that products accepted on COD delivery are damaged, 3 days after delivery was accepted! So do you want me to give proof of resolution of such dispute(s) if I again get pulled up for SNP?

I have buyers not reachable on phone or email after given SNP feedback. So now will be asking for proof of resolution of such feedback by treating them as disputes?

I have buyers not willing to return defective products after opening ODRs. Will you suspend me for SNP if I do not refund the buyer without receving a high value product?

There are dozens of such scenarios which every seller will tell you.

Unless there is a specific ODR mechanism, either by eBay or third party, all sellers will be one day suspended for SNP.

Unless you have a time limit for automatic closing of ODRs, these will pile up and all sellers will be one day suspended for SNP.

Please align your SNP and SNAD/INR policies to Indian market conditions.

A POD of a leading courier should be accepted and not your US standards applied to Indian conditions. Otherwise no seller will be able to give POD in cases of INR.

INR, SNAD and SNP combined with an unusually high importance given to FeedBack by eBay are the sellers worst problems of selling on this site.

A seller offering Money Back Guarantee should never have any OD. If a buyer does not like the product which he has received, he should be simply return it for a refund. But even with most sellers offering Money Back Guarantee, ODs and SNP feedback is received in tons.

eBay has to remember every hurt / wronged buyer will leave Negative Feedback buy only about 25 - 35 % of happy buyers leave Positive Feedback. So if a seller has 98% feedback, it does not mean he has 2% unhappy buyers but only about 0.5% unhappy buyers.

Every business will have a small percentage of unhappy customer. In the Indian scenario, it is between 1% and 5%. The sooner we accept this, the more the site will prosper. If we have unsustainable high stardards, than very few will meet the criteria and most will give up. And a site is only good as its sellers.

Just a point to ponder - Most sellers who have been kicked of this site for SNP are huge sellers on other e-commerce sites. I do not need to name any names as you / eBay marketing staff are well aware of these sellers. Infact the marketing guy of another site was gloating to me that the worst seller of Baazee (this incident is two years old) is the best seller of his site, even in terms of service! Other sites also continue to grow and these sellers do fantastically well on those sites.

So who is wrong - the site or the sellers?

Who is the ultimate looser - the site or the sellers?

I really pity poor Samar. All these efforts to bring in new sellers by holding seller seminars and promotions throughout the country go in vain, the no. of PowerSellers keeps coming down. I had asked Sapana some 6 months back the no. of PowerSellers born in the eBay era and she could not think of a figure beyone 10.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sharat,

Hello,

I have recently tried the Buyer Requirements Activity Log and by doing a little R & D I found that the blocked Buyer was able to breach in and BID for my Items.

The said Buyer was blocked first but was successful after 2 days.

He didn't qualify me criteria ....
Block Buyers who are currently winning or have bought 5 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 0 or lower
.....but still able to get in.

I just don't want to be specific here as this workshop is meant for general querries but would like to know your comments how foolproof this system is.

Umang Midha .

IndConcepts logo7

http://stores.ebay.in/IndConcepts

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi Sharat. In ebay.in
there should be some provision of making instant payment. In this way buyer's
won't be able to select Demand Draft, Cheque, Others and seller won't remain
waiting for their cheque or Demand Draft. Every buyer can only purchase item
after being verified -- the way sellers are verified on Ebay.in. Buyers who
select Cheque , DD or others as payment methods accepted are generally that type
of buyers who don't pay or we can categorise them as fake buyers. I have also
encountered a buyer who purchase 10 of my items -- wrote non - sense in checkout
and left 10 negatives for me immediately. His modus operandi compelled me to
think that he is not a buyer and a seller and taking revenge from me. Buyers
have many categories in Ebay India now :

1. Immediate Payer :
Who pays by the speed of light.

2. Slow Payer : Who
awakes only after getting Unpaid item Reminder

3. Non - Payer : Inke
kaan mein joon bhi nahi rengati despite of sending many mails or phone calls.

We need immediate
paying buyers and not slow or non - payer.

http://search.ebay.in/_W0QQsassZtouchQ5fandQ5fshine

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Sharatji,

I have been selling a product called sauna belt. There are some 20-25 sellers also selling the same product.

I today received a mail stating the my product in violation of some eBay policy and the listing was removed from the site. I also received a suspension warning regarding the same product. However I still see some 70+ listings of the product live on the site.

I have 2 questions:

1) If a huge no. of sellers are selling a new product, is it not better putting up a communication either on the communication boards / seller updates / seller outreach that the said products are in violation, rather than issue sellers suspension warnings?

2) I have received the warning and closed all my active listings and deleted the scheduled listings. However I still see 70+ listings from some 15-20 odd sellers at the time of this posting. Why is the action taken selective and not universal?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

You had said there will be an Indian dispute resolution mechanism simillar to SquareTrade sometime in January. IT is March and are still waiting for it.

I feel really stupid asking the above.

Now I believe if any person dying of thrist asks eBay or TnS for water, they will gladly give him a bottle of Poison.

ODR India will be the last nail in the coffin of the genuine eBay.in seller.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello,

I totally agree with occasionzgifts .

This looks like a poison.

I am not very aware of the details of SQUARE TRADE and wheather ORD India is on the similar lines.

I am sure there is going to be a SATTA BAAZAR on ebay now........with Automated Negotiations of ORD INDIA.

People demanding money by Bidding and Sellers who sell High Value Items are in for trouble.

Is this kind of thing legal in INDIA ?

Umang Midha .

IndConcepts logo7

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sharat,

I have used Buyer Requirements Activity Log which has been very usefull to me to judge and exempt the honest buyers from the buyer requirements.

But I am not happy with the sales after enabling SMS Verification Process. Many buyers think that giving phone numbers online is not saftly (as I have heard from many). So what do you think on this issue.

Also on the ORD India! I am not happy with the fee structure as it has been converted from dollers to Rupee. This will be only usefull if its a high value product or else its not worth for low budget products. ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ;-)
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) ;-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello Sharat,

I have another question.

I have collaborated with few Organisations for business on ebay.

Representatives from these Organisations visit my place for various discussions.They Login to their Account from my place.

Now, I am aware that IP address & ISP Host is recorded at ebays end.

I just want to ensure that my ID shouldn't be linked to any other account.

What precautions I should take?

Registeration addresses, phone numbers etc are all valid and of genuine parties.

I as an Individual have only ONE account.

Kindly advice.

regards
Umang Midha .

IndConcepts logo7

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Please use plain text.
Community Member

hi,
i would like to watch the disscusion on 16th march..
regards,
naraynan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sir ,
I Have A Small Question
If A Seller Is Offering 100% Moneyback Guarantee
On What Ground Can A Buyer Raise A SNAD Dispute Against The Seller ?
Isn't It A Contradictory Concept Used By Many Buyers To Bully Serious Sellers ?

http://www.stores.ebay.in/hi2k-georgettes

Please use plain text.
Community Member

IF you give proof of the fact that you have refunded the money to ebay its fine.

Also mail the buyer informing about the moneyback gurantee available.
Incase he replies and says he isnt sending the product back or isnt interested in taking a refund you can show that mail to ebay when required to avoid that dispute.

Regards
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello,
I am from paksitan Islamabad Pls tell me if i buy some thing from Ebay wahts the method of payment how can i pay for that item and waht is the surity to recive the item in paksitan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi,
I had put up my camera for sale on ebay. There was one buyer, unfortunately he was a spoof. He was blocked by ebay, but the problem is he had accepted my sale offer. Now I did not report him as unpaid, since he was already blocked by ebay. Now I get a invoice to pay for item that I had not sold actually and I did not report (45 days have passed) since he was already blocked. Now ebay still insists that I pay Rs 670 as selling fees... I do not know for what?
Please suggest.
There seems to be a issue in the policy/system and the seller gets the hit.
Note: This is the first time I am selling on ebay and after this incident I am not willing to any further in future
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hai,

I have purchased one item from Ebay Item No. # 9102232790 and paid on 03.03.2006. but i didn't got the item till date. Now it seems that the seller is not a registered user on eaby, what i do , my money lost i have paid Rs.12800/-. I am totally frustrated and moving for filing a case agaist ebay, please do the needful to get back the money or item from the seller.

Regards
sajith (id : siva245 )
Please use plain text.
amitava123gems
Community Member

Dear Sir,
Is it possible to give some transparency to your suspension and banning procedure?I kinda feel insecure.I dont sell at any other site or I dont have my own website.I am just happy showing pple all over the globe my collection and doing little bit of business. Dont have any ambition.I just want to keep going on peacefully.Truly,,
Amitava
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sharat

eBay is about to celebrate its 1st anniversary. There are so many changes in both eBay end and its members end. We, the sellers are asked to change our strategy, change our product look, so many changes in site usage policy has been made in these 11-month time.

But I didn’t find any notable change in CS:-(.

The content and look of Auto reply mail for community watch reporting is same, as I had received in Aug-05. 

The content and look of Response email from CS representative is same, as I had received in Jul-05.

There are very few members who are satisfied with CS. It’s not like that they don’t do their job. They do everything as per their level best, but their job end with member’s dissatisfaction. I personally feel so. Also a lot of posting indicates that.

I appreciate eBay for their Buyer Protection Program:-D. But there are very few members who are happy with this program (see lot of posting in this thread). I know this part is very program is helpful to the buyer. All the genuine purchase is protected by eBay. Then why buyers are unhappy?

I am giving one example:
=======================
One of my buyer id: kanchan2 was cheated Rs. 11000 by a mobile seller. He asked my help. I told him to go thru INR process. He receives his full money back from eBay but with dissatisfaction. His remarks were “If you (its me) are not there I didn’t get my money back”. But I know, I did nothing. All the credit should go to eBay. That is the case.

A lot of new violations/Frauds are happening day to day in eBay.in. To stop those happenings we, the members are ready to do work with TnS.
But
?:smileyindifferent:1. We didn’t find any easy way to report that
?:smileyindifferent:2. We didn’t find any satisfied result after reporting. Our effort goes to hell, when we didn’t find any action.

In the latest announcement we saw that eBay won’t allow MLs above 5. eBay itself will detect and prevent MLs above 5 from same seller even with different ID. But I have seen still there are MLs more than 5. One of these I have already reported on 14-03-06 (KMM27847765V82981L0KM).

That means this is only an announcement like “Announcement of Political Leader”, no result will be there.

It’s an on-line business portal where buyer, seller or mediator (eBay) can’t see each other. Only predefined rules by means of software program are controlling the transactions.
Yes its true that, there are very less chance of a seller being cheated by a buyer. Because seller always deliver product after receiving payment from buyer. Whatever fraud a seller being faced is from Credit Card payment. But that is also protected by PaisaPay dept.

Al last I think – The first priority should be given to the Buyers. They should be given a trusty, healthy and clean environment; they should be given an easy process for buying, they should be given a user-friendly Customer Service. Only then they will buy with satisfaction, they will leave praise for both seller and eBay. Finally seller will be happy, will get butter as well as eBay will get the same.

Regards
Skyshopindia
Achintya Ghosh
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sharat

I need some clarification regarding Listing Violation and other:

1. Suppose I have created 2 ids; one ABC other is XYZ with Shop Subscription. If I include XYZ Shop Link in listing from ABC id – is it a violation?
2. If I list AB Slimmer belt with title like – Vibrating Belt and in description if I mention like, Electric Vibrating Belt only – is it a violation?
3. If I listing Hearing Aids with title like – Mini Sound Amplifier and in description if I mention like, upto 500% of sound amplification can be done with this device.
4. If I list a Security Camera with title like – Camera to watch everything live on TV/Computer. And in description if I don’t mention the term Security, Audio Recording etc – is it a violation?
5. If I list same product in Auction format and in Fixed Buy format with different shipping charge – is it a violation?
6. If I list all my products in Re 1 Auction and include product price in shipping charge – is it a violation?
7. If my office colleague use my PC to buy product from eBay and got suspended due to Max. no of UPI strike, will my a/c be suspended?
8. If any member (fraud) intentionally buy from me and leave –ve feedback immediately without making payment. For UPI dispute if he responds like abcdxyz, is there any provision to remove that illegal –ve feedback?

It will be beneficial for me if you answer all for some specific purpose.

Regards
Achintya Ghosh
Skyshopindia
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear Sharat Digumarti,

I have one more question for you.

You may not like to have this kind of question in the Open House session.

But I feel that you must have the first hand information of what Buyers & Sellers have to face.

The question is....

Do you think your Staff at T&S is qualified enough to handle the queries / problems received from the members?

Your answer would probably be YES.

But I would rather say NO.

That's my experience.

I have reported that a particular member is misusing his 2 ID's for doing Multiple Listings.

After interacting with your staff for many days and providing required proofs, I was able to convince them and received a reply on 27th Feb....

I have reviewed the information that you have provided and found that there is enough evidence to link these 2 accounts.

No Action was taken and after reporting again after few days I got a reply on 13th March...

Please note that I have reviewed both accounts and do not have enough evidence to determine that the same person is using both accounts, therefore we cannot take action in accordance with our Multi-Listing Policy.

This is the state of T&S department.

How can you confirm the same thing & then deny after few days.

Once proved that the two accounts are interlinked ..... it must be recorded in your system. Why does one need to prove or clarify again & again.

This is horrible.

I am sorry to say but T&S may be termed as Tough & Silly department rather than Trust & Safety department.

Umang Midha .

IndConcepts logo7

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi,

Sorry to say that I am not least happy with many Trust and Safety features of eBay India.

Here people like Shakawat Hossain and others continue to cheat in lacs and eBay do not lodge a single complain to the police regarding that. eBay is asking others to lodge complain. This is strange - the cheats are operating thru you so you should also take the initiative as you are having all the personal details. Protecting ones personal information is good but protecting the information of a cheater is morally a guilt and an offense similar to the cheating.

Its never enough just to cancel the fake IDs. This is not a business done in the West where the Police Dept. itself is pro-active and take swift pre-emptive actions taking note of those cheating. For Indian operations eBay has to take initiatives to book the culprits cheating thru their site, otherwise most of the people like me will not consider your safety policies to be trustworthy.

Sorry if I sound rude. I know that you have to function within eBay policies but then someone has to take initiatives to change the policies so that it suits better in the Indian context.

The least you can do to gain some trust is to provide a link on the My eBay or Community Page to let the defrauded members to complain directly to the cyber crime depts. However, eBay must verify the complains before forwarding those to the respective depts. This measure is suggested just to prevent any misuse of the crime reporting link.

Hope to see more safe and trustworthy business in eBay in the near future.
. Best Regards :-D
Swarup Dutta
Kolkata
Best Regards :-D
Swarup
Kolkata

Please use plain text.