cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Discuss all your shipping related queries with Indian Posts, 21 Sep,(11-12)

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi,

As an eBay seller, it is extremely important to have a reliable and cost effective shipping channel. In this workshop, staff from the Indian Postal department will discuss with you the services that it offers to the sellers and will answer your queries on the topic.

Host: Indian Postal Department
Date: Wednesday, 21st September 2005
Time: 11.00 am to 12.00 pm (IST)

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Sapana
Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

multifab
Community Member
I bet it is going to be a hopeless discussion. I am based in SURAT. The Indian postal deptt. here have only four post offices for whole Surat, out of these four, two are in heritage [ read ageing] buidings. Shortage of staff is almost mountain high, ratio is 10:4 means, where there should be 10 person there are only 4 available. I am paying almost INR 25000 as my monthly bill to some courier companies, my bill can go down substantially if is use Indian postal deptt. but my mental harrasement will increase to its peak. I may sound very negative but the fact is "oh darling yeh hai India". My sincere advise to all the ebayers , please dont waste your time with this discussion, better pay extra to pvt.companies and get best services.

Regards

multifab
Message 11 of 59
latest reply

I have been selling on ebay+bazee for around 15months. I use SPEED POST/Registered Post where DTDC services are not there. DTDC is my first preference and Postal Services are my 2nd Option because the delivery time are not sure and unpredictable.
The Registered Post takes minimum 10days, SPEED POST takes minimum 4Days, VPP - Infinite days not sure when the money would I be receiving. Due to the problem of VPP I opted out the COD from my shipping list.
Further there's not enough staff at any POST OFFICES in INDIA. Everyday there's long queue and all registeration/speed post/M.O./VPP,etc are done in 1 Counter only and that too by slowness and on their moods. The Postal Department should first recruit some effiecient Staffs to handle RegPost/Speed Post/VPP and should have seperate counter for it.
Further while trying to get items from Offshore and trying to send items I always get problem with the Foreign Post Office. They always presses for some money to release the parcel or they held up the parcel in want of unneccesary documents which no common man can have. It happened to me quite a times and I had to pay them bribe to release it because the items are all single unit and of personal use. So, proper actions to be done on foreign Post offices also.
Overall I would say the SERVICES are worst in INDIA.
The private courier company are doing well because of inefficiency of Postal Department.
Deepak
Message 12 of 59
latest reply

Hello,

Last year i hv sent many parcel thru EPP to various location within india. We have to send our parcel to goregaon post office, as malad post office do not accept EPP.(we are at Malad). People at goregaon post office are not co operative. Ms. Smita Joshi at zonal office knows this.We have to call your zonal office & have to request them to talk to goregaon office to accept our parcel. How can we give a business to postal dept when their staff is non -copoerative. Also 2-3 parcel were opened on the way & some of the articles were found missing inspite of proper packing. Can we trust ?
Nitinn Parmar/plusvalue_in1
Message 13 of 59
latest reply

skyshopindia
Community Member
Dear Sir/Madam

I thnx to ebay for such great efforts. This will surely be helpful to the sellers.

IP(Indian Post) is cheap and reliable, but not as secured as courier. We use courier service by paying extra only because of fast and secured delivery.

The most advantage of using IP is Cash On Delivery(COD) by means of VPP/EPP. Which is the biggest problem for all sellers. IP has the biggest network, and we can use this network to send our parcel to anywhere in India(from Kashmir to Kanyakumari).

But this discussion will carry no benifit for me as the Post Office(PIN CODE 743318) we have in our area does not have any VPP, EPP, Speed Post facility. Even I waited for 10 days for money order because of shortage of MO Slip. I have requested Post Master so many times for VPP/EPP, but he simply ignored my request.

Thats why its my request to the concern India Post executives, May I have this facility in my Post Office?

Regards
Achintya Ghosh
Birlapur Post Office-743318
Message 14 of 59
latest reply

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hello All,

Welcome and thanks for joining us today in the workshop on "Shipping through India Postโ€

Today we have senior officers from the Maharashtra Circle. Please welcome Col K.C. Mishra, Postmaster General (Foreign Post & Marketing). Mr. Ashish Kumar, Director- Mumbai Region and Mr. Adnan Ahmed, Assistant Postmaster General (Business Development & Marketing). They will talk to you about the various services offered by India Post and field questions if any. India Post has prepared some answers based on some previously asked questions. They will be posting the same and then the floor will be open for more questions.

We love workshops to be interactive, so please feel free to ask your questions that directly relate to this topic.

A note from our Legal Department:

The statements and opinions made in this workshop are those of the workshop host only and do not reflect eBay policy or eBay's opinion with respect to such statements.

Regards,
Sapana
Community Development Team
Message 15 of 59
latest reply

We are a Seller from Siliguri, Dist.Darjeeling, West Bengal.
We are continuously sending Parcels to all across the country and also abroad since the last one year.
The India POst poses difficulty in accepting Parcels with Insurance, through it is mentioned in the Website. The Insurance charges are also very high, approx. 6% of the Value which is total impractical.Please look into it.
Thanks,
Ashok Agarwal
Message 16 of 59
latest reply

indiapost-mah
Community Member
Hello from India Post.

We welcome all to this workshop and look forward to a great interactive session.

Before we start a few words about India Post -

IndiaPost is celebrating 150 years of operations and is proud to have the largest postal network in the world. Our mission is to provide high quality mail, parcel and related services in India and throughout the world; to be recognized as an efficient and excellent organisation exceeding the expectations of the customers, employees and the society.

We are constantly evolving and trying to improve our services to keep pace with the development that India is undergoing. We realize that e-commerce has the potential to transform the way of life and are keenly looking at developments on this front. We would like to take this opportunity to explain some of the services that India Post offers, clarify your understanding on this as well as try and understand some of the issues that customers like you face. Direct interactions with current and potential customers is something that we always look forward to.
Message 17 of 59
latest reply

Sir,
India Post should arrange for helping Sellers sending their Products Overseas in Documentation and procedural knowledge regarding Export because in small places like ours even Govt. Offices are not aware of such current rules.India Post should have a Hot Line for such assistance.
Message 18 of 59
latest reply

indiapost-mah
Community Member
Let us start with some answers to basic questions that some of you have asked -

1)What all services can a small seller like me, who ships individual items to buyers across India, avail from India Post?

Various services can be availed by the customer. There are EMS/Speed Post ( Domestic and International), Express Parcel Post, parcel, letter, book post and VP, Letter Card and Postcards.

We will be putting up details of each of the services in the thread below for you to read up at a later stage.
Message 19 of 59
latest reply

indiapost-mah
Community Member
The details of our services are mentioned here -
The Products available with India Post:

SPEED POST
DOMESTIC SPEED POST
1. max. Wt. 20 Kgs.
2. Available within India for selected Centers - 157 National centers and around 800 State Centers.
3. Tariff is according to the Weight and distance.

INTERNATIONAL SPEED POST (EMS)
1.Max. Wt. 20 Kgs.
2. Document Service available for 97 Countries.
3. Merchandise Service available for 73 Countries.
4. Different Tariff for Merchandise and Documents.
5. Tariff further varies according to the Distance of the Destination Countries.
6. Customs formalities to be completed by the sender.

Special Features of Speed Post
1. There is Time bound delivery system with Specified Delivery Norms for each and every National and International destinations.
2. Provision for refund of postage when not delivered within prescribed delivery Norm due to Service Fault.
3. Track and Trace Facility available on WEBSITE.
4. BNPL facility and bulk discount available.
5. Free Pick up to regular customers
6. Insurance Facility available.
7. Facility of Proof of Delivery with Signature of the Receiver available for Domestic Speed Post.
8. Transmission by Flights wherever available.
9. Facility of pre-mailing activities available at Departmental Business Post Centers at very nominal rate.

EXPRESS PARCEL POST
1. Available within India only
2. Max. wt. 35 kgs.
3. Tariff is according to the Weight and Distance. Minimum Tariff for 3 Kgs.
4. Contents at par with parcel.

Special Features

1. Available to the Regular customers at the identified EPP Centers only. ( Not available for a walk in customer across the counter)
2. Free Pick up and free Home Delivery facility is available.
3. BNPL and Bulk Discount facility available.
4. Insurance and Cash on Delivery facility is available.
5. Facility of pre-mailing activities available at EPP Centers at a nominal rate.

PARCELS
1. Available for all destinations within India and for Selected Countries abroad.
2. Max. weight 20 kgs.
3. Can be sent by Ordinary, Registered, Insured post.
4. Can be sent as VPP within India.
5. Can contain anything that can be transmitted by post; but should not contain more than one communication. ( Otherwise it will be charged at pat with Letter postage rate)

Special Features
1. No time bound delivery.
2. Air lift only when fully prepaid with Air Surcharge in addition to the normal postage.
3. Can be posted across the Post Office Counter only. ( If posted in a Letter Box, it will be compulsorily Registered)
4. Registration compulsory when weight exceeds 4 Kgs.
5. For parcels exceeding 5 kgs. in weight, home delivery fee of Rs. 5/- is charged, otherwise parcel will be delivered at the PO counter only.
6. Half the postage will be charged if redirected on a new address to the addressee.

LETTERS

1. Can be sent anywhere in India and to all countries associated with Universal Postal Union.
2. Max. wt. 2 kgs.
3. Can be sent by Ordinary, Registered and Insured Post.
4. Can be sent as Value Payable Article inside India.
5. Can contain anything that can be transmitted by post.
6. Within India, the postage is according to the weight of the article irrespective of the distance; ( Rs. 5/- for every 20 gms. or part thereof)
7. For other countries, tariff is based on the distance and route ( Surface, Air or Surface & Air Link).

Special Features

1. Free Air lift in India wherever available. Air lift for mails of other countries given only when Air Surcharge is prepaid in addition to the normal postage.
2. Delivered at home address/ Post Box without any extra charge.
3. Given priority in sorting, transmission and delivery over other second class mails like Parcels and Book posts.
4. Ordinary articles can be posted in the latter boxes installed by the Department of Posts.
5. Pre-mailing activities provided on Nominal rates.
Message 20 of 59
latest reply