cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay India sold out to Flipkart.com What will happen to existing sellers

e2dshop
Community Member

eBay India that is eBay.in is sold out. And Flipkart.com purchased eBay India.

Why this is sold out. What is the issue, that is eBay headache.

Here we should only focus on problems face by sellers regarding this sale?

What will happen now?

How long eBay.in will be available.

Once it is sold out. how long sellers can sell?

Is this independent company as eBay.in or will merge and sellers will be forced to move to Flipkart.com?

Everybody knows Flipkart.com not good for sellers. Specially small businesses. Shop keepers, small Indian businesses cannot do business on Flipkart.com

So here question is not about who getting benefitted. Ebay company in USA or Flipkart.com

Here biggest question is employment in India. 

Earlier small sellers. In fact you can saw common Indians would have registered and sell on eBay.in

NOW already after it is sold out. They are not allowing to register without GST number. And GST is not possible for small sellers.

THIS is already a huge impact on Indian employment.

And TAX is not above employment.

If employment is available then only India can grow.

In this period of tough employment situation, day by day business is getting harder in India.

As a result poor Indians are suffering.

So, what will be the situation of eBay.in

Is this bad news for employment in India?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes . Its very unfortunate. I have been reading all about the merger and it does not look good for all the existing ebay sellers. This is basically happening due to the this GST tax regime being implemented which simply does not support he whole idea and format of ebay where earlier small sellers could start thier buisness or sell used goods . Ebay was the only portal which helped these buienesses grow and flourish unlike the other E commerce portals where only Big established sellers could succeed . But after GST many small sellers have no choice but to leave coz of this whole tax burden and no threshhold limit and so many other things that would make it difficult both for the sellers and ebay to follow...I guess flipkart taking over and ebay leaving india would hurt many sellers ...but seems like a wise move by ebay india after GST. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

ALL SELLERS PLEASE SEE THIS LINK AND GIVE YOUR ANSWER THERE ABOUT HOW EBAY IS HOLDING YOUR PAYMENT:

http://tech.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/internet/no-gstin-no-payments-ebay-to-sellers/59572321

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

ALL SELLERS PLEASE SEE THIS LINK AND GIVE YOUR ANSWER THERE ABOUT HOW EBAY IS HOLDING YOUR PAYMENT:
http://tech.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/internet/no-gstin-no-payments-ebay-to-sellers/59572321
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Let me try to address some of your questions.

1. Ebay will continue to manage the site till full transition is completed. After which Flipkart will take over the website. Looking at the other acquisition of Flipkart, it does not look if Flipkart will merge Ebay to main Flipkart site. They didn't do the same with Myntra as well.

2. Flipkart is not bad for small businessnes. Maybe its individual experiences. You may know people who had problem. I know people who didn't and they are small scale sellers.

3. GST has been made mandatory by government and not Flipkart. Therefore its not Flipkart's doing. In fact earlier TIN was mandatory to sell online. Only Ebay didn't follow this rule and allow everyone to sell without compliance. What Flipkart is likely to do is make sellers follow rules, something that EBay never did.

4. GST is not impossible for small sellers. Even if you are selling from your home, you can obtain GST number. No additional documents would be required that are difficult to obtain. I will suggest you to consult a CA.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I know Flipkart is not responsible for GST. It is Government of India. But, here main question is about employment in India.

When it comes to ease of doing business even with GST, Flipkart is very risky and complicated.

NOT all can do business on Flipkart.

Only big business who can afford the losses can do the business on Flipkart.

Also process of registering, documentation and everything is complicated on Flipkart.

So if you think and give feedback by keeping normal / small businessmen, A small shop keeper in your locality. You find this difficult.

If you think like high skilled businessmen everything you can say "possible' and says not difficult etc.

This is clear indication of over confidence and not thinking normal / poor people in view.

If you are well educated businessmen and if have lot of money you can think of easy.

But, here in India small business men do business in the following way.

Small shop keeper in India start business by taking debt from local financier or from relatives etc.

They invest small amount. From that they purchase few goods for example if it is small fancy or toy shop.

He purchase toys worth Rs.2000. After purchasing he store in shop. Sell it and get Rs.200 margin. He can count on that margin and lead the business. But, here on Big Ecommerce sites like Flipkart, Amazon etc. where if you sell this toy. First of all you need to pay huge fees, shipping etc. After that if product is sold. Buyer if good take the product and this deal done.

If buyer is not good he uses the product. Wear and Tear and make useless and return it. TOTAL LOSS to the seller.

Which not at all work for small seller and this is just against the traditional business practice in India. Which is going on since centuries.

And not only this, sometimes buyer place order on Cash on Delivery ( COD) and reject the parcel. Leading to heavy losses to seller. For shipping charges. And also stock get on hold for weeks. Which again a trouble.

If item get back from COD. Big marketplaces should compensate to the seller honestly but, this dis-honest shopping sites simply play with sellers money.

Like these you can have many issues selling online on these type of big sites.

Often people increases the price to cover up losses or put margins. But, that is not the solution. Why for someone else mistake you should suffer?

In offline business small shop keeper never expect loss. Rarely if he get damage for 1 percent item, he can adjust that. Apart from that he do not get any losses.

But, Losses are common in this type of ecommerce Flipkart. Amazon.

This is completely wrong and against the rules of business in India. Still they are playing with lakhs of seller money and still increasing day by day. Leading to actual loss to Indian sellers.

If you have your own website or sell through eBay ( olden days) you can at least adjust losses to some extent. But, you cannot survive on websites like Flipkart.

If already few sellers are working they are having money in advance and they are suffering losses.

This clearly does not mean all can do business on Flipkart.

This is really a dangerous business for small sellers in India. Until government comes with actions and rules for this. Sellers continue to suffer.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There is no doubt that Ebay made the process of selling very easy for new sellers. However it did so my flouting government rules. Amazon and Flipkart require a lot of documents because it is mandated by the government. Even before GST, online sellers were required to obtain TIN/CST before selling on e-commerce platforms.Ebay was always a ticking time **bleep**. It was matter of time before government would have realized how Ebay was flouting rules and stepped in. Same thing happened with Paypal some years ago. It was operating illegally in India and one day RBI realized and stepped in.

I find it quite shocking that sellers on Ebay who established business were still operating without VAT/Tin etc. Had they applied for VAT earlier, GST would not have been such a pain. I can understand if a new seller is hestitated on obtaining these documents since he is unsure whether the business work for him or not. But those who have established business, it was disaster in waiting for not obtaining VAT. Personally I think that these norms for online businessnes are stupid because online seller are more transparent than offline sellers. But as long as they are here, better be prepared.

What you described about online business is pain of every seller in this country. COD orders are mess, people return products for no reason. And I believe its our fault. We the sellers fail to negotiate with e-commerce platforms. The only time we showed unity was couple of years back in Flikart when everyone went to strike and delisted their products. It brought Flipkart to its knee.

Now situation is such that there is no sellers unity. Today Ebay is not paying payments of sellers for June. If everyone comes together and delist items, it would force Ebay to immediately release the money. But instead what I see is that sellers are only thinking out themselves. Ever since GST was introduced, I have seen sellers making comment in newspapers that it would take care of fake sellers. Their description of fake sellers are small sellers which is very offending. I have seen sellers trying to scare small timers of GST by intentionally spreading misinformation. 

There is also a problem with how e-commerce business is run in India and why these sites are operating in losses. They offer discounts to the buyers and offset the losses by raising fee from sellers. Its very stupid since sellers will raise the price to offset their losses. E-Commerce sites should instead cut down on their fee for sellers. It would automatically cut down the price of items and boost sales.

I also agree about COD and the mess it has created for sellers. The only solution I see is that at least new buyers should not be allowed COD facility. Only credible buyers who have history of purchasing items from website, should be offered COD. For some buyers COD has become funny game to just order an item.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Seller are now very hard to sustain . They bring dollars and govt cuts gst on purchase and ebay invoices , 18 % is too much . Bad implementation of GST for retail exporters . Without motivating export gst has demoted small sellers.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply