Receiving Payments from International Buyers

amarjitb2005@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi All

The most popular question among all sellers who are selling internationally is 'How to receive payments from International Buyers'. We encourage all members to use this thread as a central place for sharing your experience and discussing International payments with other fellow members.

Regards
Amarjit

Thanks
Amar
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

shivams-dot-com-india
Community Member
Many in India want to reach overseas customers. Many want to export their goods abroad. Most NEW SELLERS on eBay have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what sells abroad, what prices to charge customers from abroad, what payment methods to use, how to avoid fraud (especially from Nigeria) etc. etc. Most small traders think of selling container-loads. The market abroad is very different to India.

Listen....money doessn't grow on trees in foreign countries. And international customers are NOT STUPID.
For a start - concentrate on selling just in India. India
is a big country after all. Gain some experience first. Develop contacts with foreign buyers/buying agents/importers and so on

You NEED to be realistic in your approach. Do you have any idea of good honest customer service and of good international quality standards? WE HAVE - see our "ME" Page on eBay. We have been on eBay since the year 2000. That's 5 YEARS experience! Contact us if you want to trade successfully abroad. We have the knowledge, the experience, the resources, the contacts and the ideas. All the best!
Message 11 of 62
latest reply

indconcepts
Community Member
Dear anmol_kreations,

It seems you are very active in International Selling.

It would be excellent if you could guide Co-members for Selling Internationally.

I have few questions and hope to get a reply from you..........

1. Is it suggested to send small value Items through IE-code or just as Samples?

2. Does sending through IE-code involve any shipment / consignment fee to the Indian government?

3. Does the Buyer face any hassel in getting the parcel when its send through IE code? ( Parcels marked as samples reach the Buyer without any hassels )

4. What all documentation is required ?

5. Any precautions to be taken care of while sending through IE code?

6. You have said that Paypal gives the cheque in Indian rupees? So does it gets cleared in 3-4 days without any other bank charges? And are there any chances of the cheque getting lost in the Indian Post? What if it gets lost? Do they mark our account number on the cheque?

I think I have asked many questions.
I still have many more.
Hope to get an early reply.

regards

IndConcepts

best regards

Umang Midha

IndConcepts logo7
Message 12 of 62
latest reply

e-bayperfectionist
Community Member
Presently I do have some money in my Paypal account (which I received from UK). I would like to know if E-bay India has any plans of integrating Paypal into E-bay India? If that happens Paypal would certainly be the best option.
It would be a great asset to all of us.

Regards,
E-bayperfectionist
Message 13 of 62
latest reply

astroshoppe
Community Member
Hello Everybody,

I do not know much about international selling but Had started as selling in US from INDIA.
I just list my item and if some sells Post it via India Post and take payments from Paypal.
Please give any sugestions to increase my sales and more facilities that I can enjoy and can give to my Buyers.

Also tell if some ducumentation is required to do so with Govt. of India or State Govt. or US Govt.

Dheershant Tripathi
Astroshoppe
Message 14 of 62
latest reply

snrama
Community Member
Dear anmol_kreations,

I think you have a more experience selling internationally.

But my quesion is how can I make the payment if I buy from eBay.com or eBay UK if I don't have credit card? ---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
---------------
With Regards,
Navaneeth (snrama) 😉
Message 15 of 62
latest reply

anmol_kreations
Community Member
Dear EBAY INDIA COMMUNITY,

Seasonal Greetings !!!

Well this is a great moment for Anmol Kreations, your Gems and Jewelry and Diamond Solutions Provider,as we have been recognized for our Community Values and Maintaining high Standards of Sales and Customer Commuinications.

And we wish to celebrate this with all our patronized customers, client and all visitors on our 3 Stores on EBAY INDIA. :

Anmol Kreations
Anmol Sparkys
Anmol Wholesale

This is to further inform you all, that we have been Nominated, as the Leading runner for the EBAY INDIA SELLER AWARDS Named as : " COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS " .
We are amongst the top 14 EBAY INDIA SELLERS , across the ENTIRE 20 - 25 EBAY INDIA CATEGORIES, with more than THOUSANDS of SELLERS and 2 MILLION EBAY INDIA USERS.... 
As WE have been nominated on the grounds for sharing , building and adding values to the E-Commerce in INDIA and for INDIA in the International Markets. 

AND YOU CAN MAKE US THE TOP OF THE TOP SELLERS.......by casting your precious decision making Votes, which shall be a small token of appreciation for all our hardwork done in order to :

( WE REQUIRE YOUR PRECIOUS 10 MINUTES to read this and take out 5 Minutes to actually Cast your Decisive votes. )

1.) Understand your query and responding with adequate information prior placing your Orders with us.

2.) Enhance your Shopping Experience with us.
3.) FOR a smooth and clear Transaction

4.) For all our value added services that we offer and we are sure you would have had opted to experience atleast one of them.

5.) The Over all ease of Business Process...modes of payments offered, Clear Invoices, delivery and dispatch time, our gifts that have been appreciated throughout the world, packing etc....

6.) SECURITY and other related aspects, while placing your Orders. 

7.) And ABOVE ALL THE ACTUAL PRODUCT and it's Quality, Price and Picture Displays etc.....

8.) REST all you would already see on the COMMUNITY CHAMPION PAGE, where you will cast your VOTES...... : http://pages.ebay.in/promotion/communitychampions.html : From Midnight of 28 th April - till Midnight of 7 th of MAY, 2006.

Here are a few prominent features of our Campaign which may also draw your attention towards the values and efforts that we have put in to HELP build up the EBAY INDIA Community as well.

1.) Sharing and Discussing the various " BEST PRACTICES " of selling domestically and internationally.

2.) Helping 'n' Solving some common seller & user problems.
3.) Direct help for specific Sellers after recommendations from the Category Heads in EBAY INDIA.

4.) Always Promoting Safe Trade and Safe buying experiences.

5.) Transparent discussions with EBAY Boards for enhancing Selling and Buying Experiences

6.) We were Amongst Top Sellers, across categories and Top seller in Jewelry Category for Testing NEW EBAY PLATFORMS when EBAY ACQUIRED our BAAZEE.COM, to share our Trade policies and test the new ones.

7.) Some very valuable Promotion Ideas to gain, bring out the BEST of Sellers and hence giving more varieties to customers.

8.) We have had Specifically Posted on International Selling Boards, PowerSeller Boards, EBAY INDIA Boards ( addressing to the ebay India officials ) , PaisaPay Board and Selling Boards etc...

The list is actually LONG as we have been trying our best with QUALITY MESSAGE BOARD posts RATHER than Quantity,
 and are Proud to Help countless numbers of existing domestic and new sellers eyeing the International and National Markets, Modes of payments available, Export and Import Procedures, New Business Start Up procedures etc...and all this again to make sure that even the new sellers are able to sell as per YOUR ( THE BUYER's ) EXPECTATIONS & EBAY STANDARDS.....

We are Fortunate enough to STAND as LANDMARK STORE OWNERs where new and existing sellers can visit us and get inspired to improve their Product Listing Standards, get more ideas, make their listings Ideal as well and also to adhere to EBAY POLICIES for Safe Trade and Transparent Transactions, Good Product Descriptions and Content Management etc...

ALL these efforts are actually made to REDUCE THE BUYER's Precious time and make him / her confortable in the E-Commerce Shopping Experience. And we have been able to do EXACTLY the same and not only in our Jewelry Category but ACROSS Various Categories of EBAY INDIA>..

SO we finally Wind-Up by saying thank you for all who would remember us and vote for us.

Unfortunately THIS EVENT is OPEN for all the Registered Users for EBAY INDIA ONLY but we still thought of Sharing this with our Entire Customer and Client Base WORLDWIDE.

Basically being in Jaipur, INDIA, which is the HUB for Colorstones we say " U name it 'n' we shall possibly have it "

Thanx
Awaiting for ur earliest reply
The Cyberwiz

Tarun Khandelwal

Anmol Kreations
Anmol Sparkys
Anmol Wholesale

Our STores:

http://stores.ebay.in/Anmol-Kreations
http://stores.ebay.in/ANMOL-SPARKYS
Message 16 of 62
latest reply

anmol_kreations
Community Member
Dear International Selling Sellers ,

Well thanks for your messages. We'd like to answer all your queries one by one.

SO First user id : snrama : If you do not have a credit card, then a Bank Swift Code Transfer can be used. ( Wire Transafer ) Or a Physical Instrument like a Pay Order ,Cheque etc, depending upon what other modes of Payment that UK Seller Accepts.

Thanx

Secondly : User id Astroshoppe : Firstly what you do is unfortunately illegal, in terms of sending any item ( Merchasndise ) accept Documents in NORMAL Indian POST, since you need to get this cleared thru the customs and have to file an invoice.
 SO, before thinking of Facilities, you'll have to think for the LEGALITIES if incase this gets noticed in INDIA or Internationally, we are afraid, but then that gets confiscated and or may be released with peanalties..etc...  
So start with get the IEC (Import Export CODE )CODE , Obviously get your Firm / Company Registered under the Sales Tax, and then meet the Customs authorities in the GPO to send items CUSTOM CLEARED, thru the Indian Speed POST. THIS is the best method to go. But to start off, you can ideally directly approach the customs and tell them you need to send some gifts abroad...Make various Ideas and excuses for the intial 10 - 20 times, in some NON - Frequent Shipment manner...and see for your self  how things follow. The customs will automatically then request you to get the IEC Code to be a Regular Exporter and will obviosuly help you with the documents. Simple....But always do LEGAL TRANSCTIONS....

Your customer Benefits, as he/ she is out of any danger and can freely ask yoo to Export. Also now if VAT is applicable in your City / state, when you show Export Invoices in your Tax files, you get that VAT Tax refund that you paid for your Stock, but obviously did not charge for the Export.

Thirdly : USer Id : E-bayperfectionists : EBay India is Unlikely to Integrate with PayPal and hence deal with them directly...they are good people and service to use, but you need to use them once you are completely sure and have read all their policies etc. for all their services..related to INDIAN Sellers.

Forth : USer Id : Indconcepts : 1.) Well IEC number is basically for al your EXPORTS and IMPORTS, in a company's Life time so You can do the LARGEST EXPORT INVOCIE Transaction as well....Samples infact do not necessarily require even an IEC CODE...but it is adviseable to get even Samples Custom Cleared...to have their Seal and be rest assured for a smooth internatinal delivery.

2.) IEC code does not have to do anything with your SHIPMENT CHARGES or modes of Shipment...etc,..The GPO and the Customs are only together since the exports and the Indain POstal Services can benefit together. You need to consult the Business Development Officer in the GPO and or the Foreign Postal Services for the Parcel details, like their sending procedures, risks, weight, charges , their speed post services as per locations etc...

3.) PayPal issues cheques in INR and they are AT PAR PAYABLE cheques, cleairng with NO CHAREGS and the same day clearing, if produced in High Value. There can be the postal issues of getting lost, but never happened with us. We have recieved something like $ 1,25,000 USD thru them UPTILL NOW.....without SINGLE ERROR, SMALL Dleays have been only 2 times.

4.) Rest all other queries have been answered above...

Fifth User : Shivams-dot-com-india : Well it is all about First : YOUR Aspirations in LIFE. Secondly, your CONFIDENCE , Thirdly, your skills and understanding of the market, which EVERY ONE LEARNS and it is NOT NECESSARY upon Markets.
Each Market has it's OWN Products and Services required and also different customer needs. So, if one has his will - STRONG, enough, he / she can sell ANYWHERE. AVOBE all is , offcource your Product, but you need to find if this is SELLABLE and what are the quality standards, and then TEST them to see if it matches, but Sitting here and only thinking in a limited SPACE will get you know where FURTHER.....
We also say this as we have been selling SINCE BAAZEE and selling on BAAZEE was not easy, as the INDIAN Market was still far far under developed. So comparitively one has lots and lots more opportunities to sell ANYWHERE on EBAY NOW, but selling in INDIA Get's more and more difficult..atleats we can say this for GEMS and Jewelry and Diamonds. So it will be good if BOTH the MARKETS can be kept on work, for achiving some sales, EACH MONTH.....

Sixt User id : DIgital_Das : Well For sellers having lesser margis, PaisaPay is the best method, as you need to not worry for all this and also that the customer need not Furnish the entire details of his Credit Cards etc..as the Transaction is small, but then it Takes time. So, you need to Compramise somewhere.
 If paypal is still an option, then simple cover day around Rs.25 in each Shipping charge, which is nominal and hence you earn your Cheque Charges, as you are saying you have less margins....Simple again. ??? 

Hope that we have answered all your Member queries, well. Do let us know if there is anything else we can do, however we would like to suggest you to visit your customs departmetn for further details. Pl. Note : IN cities where there is an AIRPORT, you also have options for Airport Customs and Airport Parcel Dispatched, howeever we DO NOT USE it, or not have used it till yet, So, you can find out those as well.

Oh, and By the way, I have PERSONALLY STARTED THE EXPORTS OF MY DIRECT COMPANY thru EBAY TRANSACTIONS and ORDERS..Learnt it all by my self...We went to the customs in the GPO, Business Development Officers, Invested our time for some days, sent some Gift Shipments...(recd money but did not tell the customs ) and then leart all that we know today.....

Tarun Khandelwal

The Cyberwiz

Anmol Kreations
Anmol Sparkys
Anmol Wholesale
Message 17 of 62
latest reply

zizou42cinema
Community Member
dear friend
i have applyied for an selling code in order to sell my items,but unfortunately,i haven't received it untill now
i don't understand why,could some one explain me that please?i'm from Algeria north of africa.
please,help me.
Message 18 of 62
latest reply

nbcinternational7
Community Member
Hi Amarjit !

To accept payments from any International Buyers, you can accept Wire Transfer's(T/T) from them.

Or else, you can even open a Paypal account and accept payments by Paypal.

You will receive Cheque from Paypal whenever you needt the payment.

They charge some 4 USD - 5 USD per Cheque.

Wish you all the best !

NBC International
Nimesh Chotaliya
Message 19 of 62
latest reply

bleedingedgetech
Community Member
Hi all,
I have been trying to import items from EBAY.COM for a long time now. I have explored every possible way of doing it USPS, couriers people coming to INDIA from US.

Let me tell you one thing .... IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT. More that 60% of the time the items got stuck in the FORIEGN POST OFFICE when imported though USPS.

Govt. of INDIA does not allow dutiable goods to be imported through POST -"Import of dutiable goods by letter, packet or parcel posts is prohibited under Notification No. 78-Cus., dated 2.4.1938 (as amended), read with section 11 of the Customs Act, 1962"

So if your item gets stuck at the FORIEGN POST OFFICE - you're doomed - you'll have to visit to the nearest FOREIGN POST OFFICE in Delhi or Mumbai personally to get your item released. And since its not legal to import dutiable goods through post or by mis-respresentation you might have to pay SUPER HIGH DUTIES as listed in CHAPTER 90 of the Customs Tariff Act along with upto 300% penalty.

If you import throuh Courier you will get the item delivered to you but you'll have to bear huge shipping costs along with very high duty rates.

Also using your INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARD for purchases will attract you do declare the same under section the INCOME TAX ACT as per section 62 or 92 / not sure.

I even got a notice from RBI which ICICI Bank communicated to me regarding some violations of FEMA (Foriegn Exchange Management)Act I had committed.

My life has been doomed due to thinking of making a profit and buying from EBAY.COM

Once or twice I esacaped customs duty initially and thus I thought I could get away with all this very easily.

2 of my 20+ feedback ebay ids have already been suspended.

Let me tell you I have been fighting a case with Indian Postal Services and another one of FEMA for past one year now.

IMPORTING in INDIA sucks big big time !!!
Message 20 of 62
latest reply