Importing from USA, India customs regulations

havenindia
Community Member
Hi,

I ordered two small shipments from USA, the 1st box of 30 items got through India customs within 10 days, but the 2nd box of 150 items seems to be there for almost a month.

Anyone know the rules on this stuff?

Do I need a licence for such a big amount of items?
The box value is less than $250.

any help would be great
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi digital_das,

I agree that our custom folks know their job well 🙂

My guess is (again, I could be wrong); if a shipment contains 1 - 2 products, it will possibly be for personal consumption. However, if the quantity is significant, then it is safe to assume that it will be for commercial use.

But then, I am no expert. Folks who have got products from international sellers will actually be in a better position to comment.

Cheers!
Sapana
Message 11 of 46
latest reply

ankitgandhilall
Community Member
Hi,

Id like to import a saxaphone for myself from one of the international ebay sites. Will i have to pay any duty on it and how can i make the payment if say for example the payment has to be made in the US?

Thanks,
Ankit
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

harish_agawane
Community Member
Hi All,

I am going to purchase iphone for personal use from us worth of 900 $ do I have to pay any custom duty on it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Harish S. Agawane
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Yes you have to pay customs taxes.For a 900$ iphone customs will surely charge you.Depending on your luck the taxes may vary from 12%-40% even.And most of the time we need to pay the taxes to the delivering courier company.Companies like Aramex do not deliver at your doorstep but you will have to go to their main office personally or appoint some one to have the goods paying the taxes.If the customs duties are high then some courier companies would not clear it from the customs offices even.
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

cplusdeal
Community Member
Hi Id bought $3 + $10 shipment to import to India. Also $71 + $29 shipment for another product
I like to know how much will be charged for the above items in Indian Customs & Taxes

Also This products will wait at customs or it comes to our doorsteps including custom charges. And where we have to pay the custom duties whether with courier peoples or any other way

Some one who help me to clarify this

Regards
RAJENDRAN
Message 15 of 46
latest reply

suvendumishra2011
Community Member
hi,

i want to purchase Pioneer Pro DJ CDJ-350 Digital Multi-Media Player from ebay and the cost of the plyr is US $1,398.00 + Shipping and handling: To India -- US $378.75 UPS so how much i have to pay more or this is the final amount when it reach to me in india to my address. pls help me
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

guitar_her0
Community Member
Hi,

I have purchased a couple of console games and a backpack from ebay uk and us sellers. Most of them are under Rs.1500 including shipping and a few which are combined package are about Rs. 10000.

Now, i am concerned whether the the items will attract customs duty or not. They've been shipped through Royal Mail (UK sellers) and USPS (US seller). Altogether there are 10 items that i'm getting shipped from Europe and US amounting to Rs.30 K from ebay. They are all special/collector game editions. The break up is like:

1 seller from US - Rs. 11 K
another US seller - Rs. 5.5 K
1 seller from UK - Rs. 10 K
3 different sellers from UK - Rs. 1500 each

So that makes 6 different parcels amounting Rs. 30 K. They are all for personal use. A few items that have been shipped are standard postage and few are signed for Royal mail and USPS priority mail.

Now, please let me know does my merchandise qualify for any criteria on which it can be detained by the customs or levy customs from me ? They are all console game discs as mentioned and strictly for personal use but their costs went up due to ebay bidding process.

If the seller marks the item as gift then would it evade scrutiny from the customs ? Also, non-registered standard shipments, do they risk being stolen in transit before it reaches me ?
Message 17 of 46
latest reply

lotmany
Community Member
Please keep your patience, you will get your items, talk to the Seller and let him open a case at his end shipping company. It takes time (varies from shipping company to another) to get out of customs hands, when they have a doubt on the pricing and the value of the items. If you don't get your items, you are protected by calling CC.

Any items that have a commercial value (for personal use or commercial use) are subject to duty fee. There is an exemption upto 12k for imports to India with exceptions. Remember that Customs has their own pricelist, ban items, anti dumping items list.

Normally, they will leave the parcels without any duty. This is normal when parcels are small and items are not high worth.

It is easy to pass through them without duty when shipped through India Post though sometimes it would delay delivery.

Regards
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

theboyoflovestreet2011
Community Member
hello i m from delhi (india) i have purchased a second hand i phone 3g from us i phone is cost 123$ and it is insured for shipment by usps..i want to know i have to pay any custom duty for it and how many days it will take to reached at my door..

The item was accepted at 8:46 am on August 10, 2011 in PORT SAINT LUCIE, FL 34952...but the item is still at port..what is that...if my phone come with that speed it will receive in next year...my phonee is sent by US Postal Service Priority Mail International...how much time they take i have label no to track the parcel...what can i do???
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

true_value_deals
Community Member
it always depends upon customs people...
i had purchased a chinese mp3 player for Rs.673 and i had to pay Rs. 223 as customs duty....

whenever u buy a stuff assume that there will a duty on it.. if u get away then u r lucky !
Message 20 of 46
latest reply