Importing from USA, India customs regulations

havenindia
Community Member
Hi,

I ordered two small shipments from USA, the 1st box of 30 items got through India customs within 10 days, but the 2nd box of 150 items seems to be there for almost a month.

Anyone know the rules on this stuff?

Do I need a licence for such a big amount of items?
The box value is less than $250.

any help would be great
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

anmol_kreations
Community Member
Dear havenindia,

well you need to let us know what is the items what you ordered for. Almsot all items / shipmenets get opened or check up by customs to see if there is no Import Tax being gobbled up. Atleats this happens in Jaipur, but this may be because this is a Gems and Jewelery hub and most of the items incoming are related and also electronic , which attracts import duty or taxes and penalties if proper licenses are not there....

Do check our various other posts to find more information on Import and Export.....

Tarun Khandelwal

The Cyberwiz

Anmol Kreations
Anmol Sparkys
Anmol Wholesale
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

anmol_kreations
Community Member
Dear havenindia,

well you need to let us know what is the items what you ordered for. Almsot all items / shipmenets get opened or check up by customs to see if there is no Import Tax being gobbled up. Atleats this happens in Jaipur, but this may be because this is a Gems and Jewelery hub and most of the items incoming are related and also electronic , which attracts import duty or taxes and penalties if proper licenses are not there....

Do check our various other posts to find more information on Import and Export.....

Tarun Khandelwal

The Cyberwiz

Anmol Kreations
Anmol Sparkys
Anmol Wholesale
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

samcom_hyd
Community Member
Hi.

If you have imported 150 numbers, surely you may not have mentioned 'sample' on the box. Therefore, the authorities expect you to pay custom duty for the products. If you do not have an import license, contact a clearing agent who will do the needful for a fee.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

havenindia
Community Member
ok, my 2nd parcel from USA finally made it from Customs.

This box had "samples" marked on it and the value was less than $150.
..I still got charged 70% DUTY!!

I read on the net that the Sample thing only works for where each item is valued at less than Rs 5000/- and the contents of the box are FREE SAMPLES.

So, if you cant prove you got the samples free from the manufacturer - duty applies.

My first box only had 30 items (bra's) so was small, the 2nd box had 144 bra's and was quite large.
Im going to try smaller shipments.

any other ideas?
I still dont know - what is the amount importable without paying duty?
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

shweta_store
Community Member
Dear tarun
this is sweta khandelwal here .nice meet khandelwals on ebay.I am housewife located in pune.
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

shweta_store
Community Member
Dear tarun
this is sweta khandelwal here .nice meet khandelwals on ebay.I am housewife located in pune.
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

chetan_mayekar
Community Member
hi
I want to buy one telescope for personal use. its a astronomical one and value is 1600$. After 18 mht s of stay in USA i am returning back to India for another project work so i am carring my stuffs with telesecope how much will be the custom duty for telescope?
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi chetan_mayekar,

A completely personal opinion (might be wrong) - Of what I am aware, custom duty is charged only on commercial shipments. If you are bringing something for personal use then it should not be charged. Just like customs will not be charged on the personal cmaera or laptop you carry inside the country.

Regards,
Sapana
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Hi Sapana Ma'm,

The problem lies there itself in determining whether you are shipping the item for personal use or for commercial purpose. You have to prove to Customs & Central Excise that the item is for your personal use and not for resale. Do you have any reasonable way of explaining that to the Officers there? Once the item gets stuck in the system, the only question they ask is whether you have an Import License. In a 'brother sends it to sister' situation they may permit a tax-free import (within limits), otherwise they know their job very well!! 😉

Take Care,
Bye!!
Message 10 of 46
latest reply