Airmail Parcel Post or Small Packet Post??

nitindb_india
Community Member
Hi,

Recently I visted the Foreign Post office (FPO) in Mumbai, and asked for the postal rates for various international services and was handed rates for Speed Post (SP) & Air Parcel (AP). I was shocked to find out that Air parcel rates were not much cheaper than Speed Post. I have since checked the India Post website (Maharashtra Postal Circle) and noticed other international services which I hadn't known about. One of these includes the Sample & Small Packet service for foreign post, which were much cheaper than SP or AP even with the Air surchage added on. The only restriction is that only a maximum of 2kg can be sent as a Small packet.

For example if I were to send a 2kg parcel to USA, here are the rates for the various services:-

Speed Post = Rs 1175

Air Parcel = Rs 1005

Small packet Airmail = Rs 555 (Rs 155 + Rs 400 Air Surcharge)

Why is it when I ask the FPO in Mumbai about 'Small Packet Airmail rates', they don't seem to know what I'm talking about? What are the typical dimentions of a parcel which can be sent as a 'small packet'? Does anyone use this service or know anything more about it?

Many thanks,

Nitin
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

sudiyer
Community Member
Hi. ihave to post small model trains all over the world. What option should I go for, and what sort of requirement does India post have for small packets. The weight for all packages is below 400gms, and the average box will be 10" x 6" x 3". Do i need to over it with cloth? I want to send it by registered air mail. Please advise.
thanks in advance,
Pranav
Message 21 of 46
latest reply

Hello Pranav,

Send the item by Registered Air Parcel. Do not forget to wrap the item with white cloth and stich it.

Check the cost at http://www.indiapost.gov.in/ForeignTariff.html

Regards,

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

sudiyer
Community Member
Hi. Can I send it as Small packet, as the weight will be small...
Message 23 of 46
latest reply

shoppe18online
Community Member
Can Anyone tell me, what is the best shipping service for the Wooden Furniture?? I sale in INDIA only. Please help me by which shipping method I can send the ordered products so that they can reach to the buyer safely and I have to pay less for shipping charge??

Thanks in Advance

Shoppe18online
Message 24 of 46
latest reply

emailswarup
Community Member
Hi,

As per my knowledge, the only problem to ship with Sample / Small Packet post is that the packet should have an open end to enable the authorities to check the content (like BookPost). I think only some selected post offices accept this type of parcels because the employees in many post offices do not even know about this and often do not care to consider the request of the customers when they want to book such parcels.. .
Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Best Regards 😄
Swarup
Kolkata

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

swamiworld
Community Member
Airmail Parcel Post befor crismas(x-mas)?
Message 26 of 46
latest reply

maniwireless
Community Member
Hi
I went onIndapost web siteand saw that AIR lift ground is pretty cheap to USA from India. Does anyone know how reliable that is and how long it takes if I register my mail. I am sending bulk mail. Advise would be greatly appreciated. than you very much.
Message 27 of 46
latest reply

shrigovindam
Community Member
Shipping is the biggest concern of all sellers. Interesting information here.
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

vismat_mega_store
Community Member
Dear all...

Their is no need to pay air surcharge...here in delhi...the post offce guy told me you can send anything up to 2 kg through registered post but letter should not have a height more than 4 inches.

Regards

Sainathpila
Message 29 of 46
latest reply

kanthanmmills
Community Member
Guys please browse the following link for SAL charges at Indian post office.
http://www.indiapost.gov.in/Foreign_Postage_Rates.htm

senthil
Message 30 of 46
latest reply