Airmail Parcel Post or Small Packet Post??

nitindb_india
Community Member
Hi,

Recently I visted the Foreign Post office (FPO) in Mumbai, and asked for the postal rates for various international services and was handed rates for Speed Post (SP) & Air Parcel (AP). I was shocked to find out that Air parcel rates were not much cheaper than Speed Post. I have since checked the India Post website (Maharashtra Postal Circle) and noticed other international services which I hadn't known about. One of these includes the Sample & Small Packet service for foreign post, which were much cheaper than SP or AP even with the Air surchage added on. The only restriction is that only a maximum of 2kg can be sent as a Small packet.

For example if I were to send a 2kg parcel to USA, here are the rates for the various services:-

Speed Post = Rs 1175

Air Parcel = Rs 1005

Small packet Airmail = Rs 555 (Rs 155 + Rs 400 Air Surcharge)

Why is it when I ask the FPO in Mumbai about 'Small Packet Airmail rates', they don't seem to know what I'm talking about? What are the typical dimentions of a parcel which can be sent as a 'small packet'? Does anyone use this service or know anything more about it?

Many thanks,

Nitin
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

ersajham
Community Member
hi all,

can anyone help me how to track the item sent by airmail from india to uk?
Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I beg to disagree with Digital Das as the postal rates on the website is current as per latest orders from the postal department.

You can see at the bottom of the website Last updated date of the website.

The person who do not update with the latest is your local postman. There is lot of new services started by the postoffice which your local post man is aware of. Take a copy of the website and go to your local post office and ask for the service. If they do not provide you with the service, go online and post a complaint

http://indiapost.gov.in/ccc/PCData.aspx
at the webbased grievience page of India Post.

You cannot track an Air mail
Only speed post are trackable. International speed posts are trackable from point to point.
Regards
Onesimpleman
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

metroboutique
Community Member
when posting within india for cash on delivery..:-) good news,,, GATI Zipp is a courier that is doing cash on delivery at reasonable terms, at the moment i am so relieved that i dont have to depend on VPP and the INDIAn post office anymore
when i offered cash on delivery as a payment option i did so since as a buyer i found this convenient, and a way to avoid fraud when buying on the net. but vpp thru the indian post office is something that can turn u into a nut case, i also found that couriers are not usually willing to do cod(cash on delivery), also when i ran google it bought up the fact this is a headache all buyers and sellers share hence i wnated to share some good news .
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

I heard somebody saying there is a Greviance Redressal on Indiapost website! Well there is, but as I said before it is a piece of scrap (in plain Hindi- 'kabadi') 😉

And I have my personal experiences to prove this.
In Dec 06, I had sent a VPP through the Post-office but even after 2 months when failed to receive the payment (although item was delivered), I wrote a written complaint to our GPO. A month later I got a printout of what my complaint ended upto - a page from the Greviance Redressal site. From the URL (which was luckily printed) I logged on to the page from Indiapost.gov.in and posted a message (which is a helpful thing for quick redressals), but still today no one has ever replied to it or sent me a written reply.

Of course, I haven't received the money either, but I gained a valuable lesson - technology without expertise for its utilisation is worthless.

See ya guys!! 😛
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

mobi_plaza
Community Member
Hi to everyone.
Guyz im selling used mobile thru Ebay.
I use Blue Dart to courier the goods. But sometime they refuse to deliever to some places. Like recently they refused to deliver in Bhubaneswar(Orissa).
I want to know What should i do in that cases.
Should i use Indian Postal service?Is it a safe method to deliver?
Or can you guyz suggest me any other safe n reliable courier
Message 15 of 46
latest reply

fulnfinal
Community Member
Hi
I have seen some interesting comments on ebay and would like to say that Indiapost is evolving day by day. A little bit of time is reqd. Once the transit period is over it will be able to provide even better service. The tracking system of Speedpost article can be done on the website ie www.indiapost.gov.in and registered foreign articles can also be tracked thru Speedpost - Movement- International Delivery.
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

imranabukhaled
Community Member
Dear Sir

Please we would like to know the airmail parcel post services for China country (City-Senzhen) and the tariff chart to import from China to India, City - Mumbai.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration,
regards
Imran
Message 17 of 46
latest reply

imranabukhaled
Community Member
Dear Sir

Please we would like to know the airmail parcel post services for China country (City-Senzhen) and the tariff chart to import from China to India, City - Mumbai.

Also we need the location addresses of airmail parcel post services, telephone nos. and email id,

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration,
regards
Imran
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

sagasuresh
Community Member
NEVER DO WITH INDIA SPEED POST...ITS BULLSHIT... NO RESPONSIBILITY .. THE PARECEL YOU SEND MAY GET AFTER YOUR 5TH DEATH ANNIVERSARY....BITTER EXPERIENCE ...NEVER SELECT... F........NG INDIAN SPEEDPOST ....
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

sudiyer
Community Member
Hi. ihave to post small model trains all over the world. What option should I go for, and what sort of requirement does India post have for small packets. The weight for all packages is below 400gms, and the average box will be 10" x 6" x 3". Do i need to over it with cloth? I want to send it by registered air mail. Please advise.
thanks in advance,
Pranav
Message 20 of 46
latest reply