About selecting a courier

2013aba
Community Member

Hi, 

I am selling an External hard Disk, supposed to send it from Chennai, TN to Surat, Gujarat. This is my first time selling and I'm shipping it on my own. I listed the shipping as free, thinking the shipping would cost arond Rs.100 to Rs.200, since I've seen sellers listing Flat rate shipping to anywhere in India at Rs.65-Rs 85. Now, after receiving the order, I enquired Bluedart and they said a whopping Rs.1500+ by road and Rs. 2500+ by Air. The item weight will be around 250 - 300 grams.

I know other couriers might have a cheaper rate, but I don't think there would be much difference. Is this the usual shipping charge? 

Thanks for replies. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Probably they charge according to the item type (specially electronics).

In India ebay is a dying out industry specially for small sellers who want to make some pocket money from the sales. For a small seller like you and me, unless you open a very big shop in ebay with many transactions each day, or if you subscribe to ebay paid services, you are unlikely to profit from the sales. The major concern being the shipping cost. Still you can send the item through registered speed post.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

bluedart charges on the basis of the value of the item.

you can use speedpost

just pack the item well

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Probably they charge according to the item type (specially electronics).

In India ebay is a dying out industry specially for small sellers who want to make some pocket money from the sales. For a small seller like you and me, unless you open a very big shop in ebay with many transactions each day, or if you subscribe to ebay paid services, you are unlikely to profit from the sales. The major concern being the shipping cost. Still you can send the item through registered speed post.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

bluedart charges on the basis of the value of the item.

you can use speedpost

just pack the item well

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

2013aba
Community Member
thanks for the info. my friend was suggesting India post which he says, has good tracking and cheaper than registered post. He also recommended professional courier.

so, I'll go ahead and use some bubble wrap, and pack in a polythene cover (hope i find a readymade sealable cover) and send it.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Just go to speedpost and you might be surprised, they might refuse to carry electronic items, just see what happens and report here if you could send it or not and at what rate.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Well if you are planning to sell regularly on ebay, i suggest you to

1.Adopt PowerShip program offered by ebay itself. Cheaper shipping rates, fastest delivery, no return ship charge, automated tracking and more over best powership customer care help available. Call ebay for more details.

Or

2. You need to do your homework first by confirming Shipping charges(By weight/Distance/Dimension wise) from various Courier companies available in your area, who must have huge serviceable area coverage. Few i know as best are BlueDart(Fastest delivery), Fedex, DTDC(Almost covered whole India including villages), TheProfessionalCourier(Covered most part of south India), FirstFlight, Speed/Registered Post(By India Post Office serviceable all India) and many more.....

Note: if you are in doubt with the availability of courier service in buyer's area, do ask the buyer for courier company he prefers the most. Bcoz some time you chosse the best but buyer experinced bad with that particular courier company's service.

If you are planning to sell only once or few, i suggest you:

3. Try to confirm rates from BlueDart(Fastest delivery), Fedex, DTDC(Almost covered whole India including villages), TheProfessionalCourier(Covered most part of south India), FirstFlight, Madhur Courier, Speed/Registered Post(By India Post Office serviceable all India).

Hope you will find a perfect courier company who charge Rs. 45-50 for upto 500gm of parcel.

Do remember one thing, Pack well by using bubble wrap, thermocol, carton or any other packing material so that it can reach to customer in well condition. Always pack your parcel by keeping one thing in mind that there are hundreds of parcel in a bundle that courier company carries and your parcel might be at the bottom of them. So pack well so that it can able to absorbs that much of pressure.

Hope the information above helps you.

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Hello Members,

Is it necessary to declare the content of the goods while sending through Speedpost/DTDC. I am interested in selling electronics like laptops, mobile but scared of loosing them in transist. Also Speedpost is a government compnay, Should we trust them like other private companies. Hoping helpfull suggestions from fellow members.

Thanks!!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

asinrock11
Community Member
Hello freind.
Actually u and me has the same doubt. Im also planing to sell electronics like laptops mobiles and tablets. I tried bluedart, proffesional coriers and dtdc. But they dont take electronics. I think they Only way is using speed post. But im so scared will the item Will be recieved by buyer in good condition. I know that shipping carge will be less. What should i d0?
a_s_w_i_n
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

asinrock11
Community Member
I tried to register witj powership. But when i clicked accept, then the same page comes again and again. Is there any requirements for registering for powership
a_s_w_i_n
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes asinrock11! You need to sell 30 items initially to opt for "Powership Seller program".

Message 10 of 11
latest reply