Regarding shipping charges structure

I have mentioned this earlier also in the previous community board. Want to say again. The current system of shipping charges on eBay is a source of frustation to customers and a way of manipulation for some sellers.

At present sellers can charge different shipping charges for within city and outside city. Some sellers use it as a tool for higher visibility in price + shipping lowest search. They give free shipping for within city and charge shipping charges for outside city. Buyers sees an item with free shipping while searching, only to see later that there is a shipping charge because he is not from sellers location. This is really frustating for a buyer. This means that even if he sorts results by price + shipping lowest logic, he may not get the desired result.

For Eg : An item with Price Rs. 100 + Shipping free within city and Rs. 50 shipping charges outside city, will show as free shipping while searching. Now there is another item with Rs. 110 price and free shipping all over india is actually cheaper but will not show as such in the search result.

This encuorage even honest sellers to use this manipulation tool to gain visibility.

There is no system of twin shipping charges on other leading online shopping sites in India. So why eBay.

So many good changes have been done in eBay India recently. I beleive this is one more important change which is required.

Either make free shipping mandatory and let the sellers factor shipping charges in the price of the goods.....or have only one shipping option - that is flat rate shipping throughout India.

Also there is no major cost difference in shipping within city and outside city.

Hope someone responsible will take this feedback seriously. This once step will make eBay India less confusing and more appealing for buyers.

Comments from other sellers are welcome.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Like the OP, I regularly use the provision to sort items by "Price + shipping: lowest first" too, and have long felt the same frustration of seeing the order muddled by the dual shipping charge system. Even when that sorting provision is not used, it's really annoying to be constantly misled by the "Free shipping" notation in the price column.

It may not be practicable to enforce a single shipping charge system. What I suggest is that eBay should re-program the listing system so that, once a potential buyer has logged in, the listing should automatically display whether there's an extra shipping charge or not, depending on his location. Listing according to price + shipping should then place items in the correct order.

Here's another related issue: Many sellers give their location only as "India".  If such a seller offers a dual shipping charge, a potential buyer cannot tell if he's eligible for free shipping until he starts the checkout process.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

still probelm is not yet resovled 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply