cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the customs(import) duty on mobile phones imported from USA

msr2cool
Community Member
Hi, I am planning to buy a samsung epic 4g mobile phone from ebay.com, but don't know how much about the custom's(import) duty on the phone which i can buy for 15000/- from ebay.com, can any one tell me how much the customs(import) duty is charged on a mobile phone bought around 15000/-, and would they(custom's people) consider the value that is on the invoice or the bill given by the ebay seller or they look at market value of the phone?.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

balamurugan_d76
Community Member
The customs duty is 36.05%, which means 15000+5407 = 20407.

other details i dont have information.
bala
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Dear msr2cool,

Custom authorities will be able to guide you best on the custom duty. Generally, the custom duty for importing mobiles is just 1.5%. The charge will be decided based on the perceived value of the item in India than the original value for which seller is buying it from US.

Let say the same product is costing Rs.30,000/- in India then the duty will be charged from Rs.225/- to Rs.450/-

Thanks
Seema
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

ashishberi01
Community Member
I m from INDIA. I want to buy an iPhone from ebay.com. I want to know whether I have to pay custom duty on this if the seller marked the item as "Gift"

Thanks
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

jaichinoy
Community Member
Dear Seemak (ebay pink),
what source u r relying on????? WHY U R GIVING WRONG INFORMATION??? That too as ebay employee!!!

pls go to cbec website or caclubindia.com . EVEN PREFRENTIAL RATE reciprocal countries it is not 1.5% or carrying with u personally exemtion is upto Rs 12,000 unless under transfer of residence. STOP GIVING WRONG INFO. SHAME ON UUUUUU
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

The customs duty is variable (depends on the mood of the customs officer). If they are too lazy to check the item, they will charge the maximum duty of 40%. I have had first hand experience with this.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

mayurd2011
Community Member
One of my friend is gifting me a mobile fone (LG optimus V)from US. I want to know what custom charges do i have to pay for that in india?
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

prasanthrobot2011
Community Member
Hi People we have all the idoits in custom department very cheaper than the pigs eating dirt...
they have taken 1600 INR for a product which cost 700INR so guys or girls please dont import anything it is all our indian pigs eat ur monyey...
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

atul198312
Community Member

Please check all Friends : 

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation

Online Calculate : http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Cell Phones is duty free and Landing Charges rate is 1%, Countervailing Duty rate is 12%, CESS rate is 3%, Additional Countervailing Duty rate is 1%

It is better to ask your seller to declare the product value as low as possible.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply