Seller asking for photo ID and address proof.

ajith1994
Community Member

I bought a product on ebay. I paid for it on the 1st of June 2014, and today 2nd June 2014, I got a phone call from the seller ***  that I should provide them with my photo ID and address proof. The stated reason in the email that I got from them is that they need it for kerala state sales tax rules form and they said it on the phone as well.

I used ebay to buy other products from other sellers in different states and they had no trouble shipping the items to Kerala.

None of them asked for any photo ID or address proof, as all the details are given in ebay, why do they need it? I don't like my personel information like my Aadhaar ID number in the hands of other. Are they allowed to make such requests?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

dont handover any personal documents to anyone there is no requirement for any adress or ID proof in kerala as far as i know 
Even i sell many products to kerla buyer and bluedart deliveres it without any personal documents
Regards

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The seller said that they need some kind of id proof to transport the product by land. They said that they need it for the check posts to my location

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

They said that they don't need these proof for shipment by air, they need it for shipment by land!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

jibikuma
Community Member

Did you send the id proof? (I am also being asked for the same by a seller) So I thought I would send it after checking what you did 🙂

Message 5 of 5
latest reply