cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchases made on EBAY.COM & Show-cause notice from Customs

sai_ganapathi
Community Member
Hi,
I have purchased a camcorder from USA on ebay.com for $5.5+ shipping $45.5. the seller shipped the item promptly after making the payment thru paypal.

Now i have received a show cause notice from customs department, chennai stating it is a restricted item and give the explanation why penal action cannot be taken? more over they have assessed the value of the camcorder for Rs.9000/-.

What should i do now? cos lot of people from india might be buying from other countries as the items are available at cheaper prices.

can canyone suggest what should i do now.

Thanks in advance,
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You purchased a camcorder for USD $5.5? Are you sure? I can see why customs would find it hard to believe that the camcorder is worth only USD $5.5...

If you have indeed purchased it for USD $5.5, reply to the showcause with the copy of the receipt obtained from the seller and the credit card statement which shows payment of USD $5.50 (+shipping) that is total.

If you have tried to under-declare the item, well then you have done something illegal and deserve to face a penalty.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

yes he is right, JVC GR-AXM300U Camcorder w/Case 2Battery+ChargerManual Item number:300496532009
RajElectroniks
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Just reply to the showcause by post, take a printout of the item page, a receipt (or the eBay bought page though this is not a receipt) and a copy of the credit card statement that shows your payment for this item.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

mizpeppertree
Community Member
hi,
i am from USA and sell on ebay.com, yes you can get camcorder for $5.50 US dollars .. people move up to new brand, they loose interest.. the children dropped it.. lots of reasons..

i am just wondering what is this thing i see about an international reseller? that the person in the USA is supposed to ship the item to, and then the reseller is supposed to ship it to the buyer in India??

i saw auction # 290513939912 for sunglasses in the USA and under the "how it works" tab there was all this nonsense about shipping to another person..

i am not aware of any embargo that would stop the US sellers from shipping directly.. i ship all over the world, i sent something to Russia, 2 things to Japan, and one to United Kingdom in the past few days.

the reason i wonder about all this is i now have a little map on my auction pages that shows where people are looking at my auctions from, there is no one from the entire continent of Africa (i wasn't all that surprised), but nothing from India at all.. so i thought i would come and have a look at the eBay in India..

does the customs charge a lot for importing? and why would you folks need a middle person to ship to first??

thank you for your help.
Mizpeppertree
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

sai_ganapathi
Community Member
Finally, the case is solved but gave me a lesson that no one should buy on ebay.com from india.

The item costed my USD 51and i have received the order from customs as i dont have a import licence and violated the rules. so i have to pay a penalty of Rs.5000/- + redemption charges of Rs.2000/- plus customs duty of Rs.3500/- approx totalling to 10K+.

it is a horrible experience. i think no one is aware that the buyer should have an import licence to buy from foreign country.

anyhow, good lesson to me.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

hi, did you contact any lawyer????

@sai_ganapathi wrote:
Finally, the case is solved but gave me a lesson that no one should buy on ebay.com from india.

The item costed my USD 51and i have received the order from customs as i dont have a import licence and violated the rules. so i have to pay a penalty of Rs.5000/- + redemption charges of Rs.2000/- plus customs duty of Rs.3500/- approx totalling to 10K+.

it is a horrible experience. i think no one is aware that the buyer should have an import licence to buy from foreign country.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Ganesh can you share your contact details 

I am facing the same show cause notice from custom can you ple call me 

thank you in advance 

@sai_ganapathiwrote:

Message 8 of 8
latest reply