Lost/Stolen in transit

sinhau2000
Community Member
Hi y'all ebayers

I ordered an item from a seller in Mumbai. He wasnt particularly communicative, and even when he received my payment promptly, he took atleast 5-6 days to dispatch it. I finally received the package today, after a delay of ten days, and I was shocked to find that the phone which I ordered is missing. I did received the phone battery and a headset, but little else.

The package itself was only a thin piece of card, and was not even sealed properly. Anyone could have opened it in transit, and it seems this is what has happened. Sadly, I hadnt even insured it, as I have never needed to, but it seems to be the seller's fault for having packaged it so poorly. Am I entitled to any redressal or refund from the seller, as the matter needs to be settled between him and the courier company (Origin Express), as to who is responsible.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter, firstly, because it could mean a lot of money down the drain for me, and also, as I needed the phone urgently!!

Thanks in anticipation of positive advice.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Lost/Stolen in transit

onlygizmos
Community Member
I found this somewhere. Hope it helps.

Dealing with Shipping Problems
If you have any questions involving shipping and handling, eBay recommends that you first communicate directly with the seller. If you still have problems, the following information may help.

Lost or damaged items

If your item was lost or damaged during shipping, please request contact information and call your trading partner to explain the situation and work out a solution.

You should also consider contacting the shipping carrier for assistance.

Items that are lost or damaged during shipping are not eligible for the eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program programs unless you are the buyer and one of the following conditions apply:

You purchased shipping insurance and the seller failed to insure the item.

You purchased shipping insurance and your or the seller filed a claim with the shipping carrier, but the claim was denied due to poor packaging.

You purchased shipping insurance and your or the seller filed a claim with the shipping carrier, and the shipping carrier awarded the seller reimbursement but the seller failed to send a refund to you.

Regards
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

dalcomputer
Community Member
The courier company (delivery Boys involved)seems to be real thieves, You should not spare the courier company, These thieves should be taught a good lesson, If these things start happening every body will loose their trust from the couriers, So sir I suggest you to get to the depth of it and make sure the culprit is punished and hopefully the courier company should compensate you directly or indirectly.

I trust that this information has been useful to you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to post them in this thread...

D.A.L. Computers (India)

!!! East or West India is BEST !!!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

supersaverdeals
Community Member
Sir pls give this a thought. No seller in his right mind wanting to ship the product will not ensure that the product is not packed properly. IT is the courier guys who steal the product midway. I am a seller myself and out of 10 products i sell i have atleast 1 case of theft. As a seller i do compensate my buyers because i feel it was my responsibility to deliver the product rightfully. However not all will agree with it. Hence a good way is to inspect the package on reciept in front of the courier guy. If you find anything missing repack the package and dont accept it. That ways it clearly indicates to everyone that the courier company is at fault. Then you as a buyer and the seller of the product need to lodge a complain with your local courier department and escalate the case. The entire process will take around 2-3 months so pls have patience.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

coolbrasco
Community Member
Dear All,

Sorry to know the problem you are facing. As a seller i can feel the pain for a buyer loose his chance to get item safely. You can also complain to local police with proof, then courier company will come to a compromise.

There is a solution for this. You can try to use the Indian Postal service's speed post option. Normally postman are afraid of stealing registered post, because even the Postal union or Indian post does not protect dishonest postman, they loose job. But if you send anything unregistered, even a small pen(Rs.2-3) value item, no guarantee it will reach.

Below the address you can also write a bold note that weight of the parcel is this.... 285 grams and less than this please dont accept and send back(preferably in RED). Also sealing proper with stapler pins on two ends, on top of that brown tape helps, if more valuable item better use red or permanent marker to strike off where you close it. Also you can make a rubber stamp with bold letters "If this parcel is damaged or tampered please check the weight and accept" like that. So the stupid courier guys will not steal your item, they can cought red handed if they buyer check the weight. Better use thick paper envelops to send items. Use unusual stapler pin size(not regular), if you use normal stapler pin size, these culprits still open and pin back, courier guys are born to be become thieves. By touching a cover they know what is inside.

In case if your envelop is big, better to staple all four sides and tape it, would give better protection, if not at least tape them all the edges where there is closing with gum. Another tip is first put your item in a thin transparent polythene bag and put tape, then put in envelop and send.

Definitely in India there are people prey for a chance to steal goods in post. That's the reason most of the eBay.com sellers from other countries does not want to ship to India. Or they ask you to pay for the DHL, FEDEX rate which is 5 times higher than other services.

Kind regards,
CoolBrasCo.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

highskyindia
Community Member
Dear sinhau2000,
I feel really sorry for you , that you lost the phone.
Well as a seller I have also lost some packages in transit and i feel it is sellers responsibility to get the item delivered in proper shape to buyers doorstep. when ever item has been lost or damaged i have always replaced it from my pocket . Trust me I really have done that.
As such the policies of ebay are clear that they will not help you out and they are not responsible.What i feel is that best is that you approach the local police at your level, but i really doubt as the stolen material is hardly recovered. But Please do give it a try. also side by side first contact the seller and ask him to tighten screws for courier company.and ask for all his help ..Though from your post it seems that the seller will wash his hands from it.
But please try really hard to get your money back as the chances are very less, practically

Whats happened is happened but please take care in future that
- Always choose insurance
- always buy from really good reputed sellers
- ALWAYS CHECK THE ITEM IN FRONT OF COURIER GUYS OR ELSE GOD HELPS YOU

Regards 😞
NM05
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

posting.id.in
Community Member
Hello sinhau2000,

You seem to be getting a lot of wrong advice from the community.

It is 100% responsibility of the seller to deliver the goods in good condition and complete in all respects to you.

Insurance if any is for protection of the seller and not the buyer.

If you have paid and you need to receive a complete product , period!

Simply open an Item Not Received Dispute and if the seller does not respond in the given time escalate the same to a buyer compensation claim.

You can find more information about the filling a INR dispute and buyer protection at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.in/ebayexplained/buyingsafely/transacproblems.html?ssPageName=f:f:IN
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Lost/Stolen in transit

I ordered two "ADATA HD710 1TB USB 3.0 Hard Disk Waterproof & Shockproof (Blue)" each worth Rs.4799, which amounted to Rs.8122 in total after availing discount.

The product was to be delivered before 11-2-2015 as per E-bay Guarantee. Since I didn't receive the item on or before that date, I raised a claim for Item Not Received. But I received the item on 13-2-2015, two days after the said date. I accepted the delivery on the thought that I could cancel the claim. But to my surprise, shock to be precise, the box I received was filled with a few magazines and tabloids instead of the item I ordered. I called the customer care immediately and told them about the issue and I decided not to cancel the claim as there was no option to file another claim. 

What I got for Rs.8122 of my money was a bundle of waste papers worth a few Rs. And as another insult to me on top of this was that my claim was rejected and closed solely on the proof that the seller had delivered a package and I received it. What if I ordered something worth Rs.20000 and the seller delivers a package of waste instead?

I didn't receive any messages, email or call informing me that my claim was rejected. Only an email mentioning that the claim case was closed. 

I've been talking to E-bay customer care service representatives for a some days now and there has been no progress other than the representatives promising me that I will be contacted in 48 hours. I also contacted the seller regarding the issue. 

What should i do now?..

IMG-20150213-WA0008.jpeg
Message 8 of 8
latest reply