International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

iraniyohanbz
Community Member
Hi thegenuinecollections,

Thanx for replying to my post. The item was shipped on 3rd November 2009 from Baton Rouge, Los Angeles and costs around INR 22000. If you consider sat and sun as holidays along with one day for the cyclone Phyan, 20th November wud be 13 working days since it shipped. I had emailed the seller last saturday and she gave me the label/receipt number of the package shipped via USPS. when i reconfirmed the number on their site, everything matches ie. the time/day/place when the package was shipped. but the status of the package is still "Acceptance". also the service type is "International Letter". I did ask the seller why this type of service was used for the shipment and she said she had no idea that why USPS used this type and cud be coz she shipped the item in a small box. so can you please suggest if the status "Acceptance" even after 13 days since the item was shipped is normal? also, is there a way i can track the package using that label/receipt number via our Indian Postal Service. Thanx.
Message 41 of 98
latest reply

yottastar
Community Member
Hi,
I bought a wi-fi adopter from Hong Kong. for 7.99$(Rs365),. with out shipping charges and custom charges. Received after 19days from payment.I had to spend Rs900 to 1000 if i bought it here.
Message 42 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi iraniyohanbz Acceptance means there is some problem with the package's clearance to be sent to India.It once happened to me because USPS did not accepted Watches and my seller marked it as chronograph to get it moving to India.Ask your seller to visit the Post Office from which she sent the item and check the status.
Message 43 of 98
latest reply

iraniyohanbz
Community Member
hi thegenuinecollections,
thanx for replying. i asked the seller about the status "Acceptance" and she called up the customer care of USPS. They told her that its been confirmed dispatched the very same day i.e.3rd november, and its not stuck. since the seller didnt opt for the $80 shipment and went for the standard $30 shipment there is no tracking number and thus no way to track it. so they said that it will just take "a while" for the item to reach me, thats all. its 28th today ie.25 days since the day it was shipped from LA. the seller also said that incase the shipment doesnt reach me, "i will work something out for you". frankly i dont mind the wait but it shud arrive safely in one piece. ๐Ÿ™‚
so i hope it doesnt get lost and i wonder how much longer is it actually gonna take to reach me here in Mumbai.
Message 44 of 98
latest reply

georgeanidol
Community Member
I am from India and want to buy Battery for Xbox controller from ebay. The seller is from HONG KONG. What are the charges i need to pay such as customs and others. Is there any custom or import duty i need to pay. The batterys cost is around 4 dollers.
Message 45 of 98
latest reply

iraniyohanbz
Community Member
hi thegenuinecollections,
i finally received the shipment exactly 1 month after it was shipped from Los Angeles but just forgot to update about it in this thread. I was charged an additional custom duty of Rs630 but the seller was kind enough to refund me that amount to my credit card via paypal. So if anyone is thinking of bidding on an auction which isnt searchable/viewable via ebay.in, add the auction to ur watchlist by clicking on 'watch this item' somewhere around the price section of the auction, available on the international ebay site. then logon to ur ebay.in account and view/bid on the auction. thats how GlobalEasyBuy is invoked. this feature is available to all ebay.IN users which will calculate the exact amount for an international shipment including custom duty charges. and will ensure that the product reaches u safely asap, with a tracking no.
so happy international bidding guys!
Message 46 of 98
latest reply

dhani2u
Community Member
Dear E Bay Members,

i had purchased an 16gb Mp3 player from Mycandyshop from Ebay.com at $17.50 and paid using Paypal, on 2nd Dec 2009, but still not received the Item at my shipping Address,

i even contacted the Seller, he replied that he had checked with his Postal departement and found that it has been shipped on the next day (3 Dec 2009), and ask to me Wait further, and says it definetly reaches me,

My Question is that "my item got stuck in customes?" and how should i get that Information?, also should i have to pay the customes duty for getting the Item for $17.50(RS:769 Appx)if yes how Much i have to Pay?

plese waiting for Reply from E bay members,

thanks & Regards,
dhani2u
Message 47 of 98
latest reply

belly898
Community Member
Hi, Any ideas on import duty on watches purchased on ebay.com ?
Message 48 of 98
latest reply

madmahesh2009
Community Member
There has been some problem with the customs dept i guess.I am yet to receive my BB storm2 sent on dec 6th 2009 and one otterbox impact case for my iphone shipped out on November 26th.Both did not turn up yet.I do not know where the problem lyes.In the customs or the postal dept.Earlier i had no trouble receiving my parcels from US UK etc.,This time there are no signs of delivery.
Message 49 of 98
latest reply

I bought 7-8 products from HoNgKong using Paypal in FREE SHIPPING and all of them are delivered to me. All were non tracking shipping and cost was nt increased above 1000/- INR . So items imported without any problem. I have read somewhere that upto Rs.5000 samples are free to import . So i will keep experimentin' buying the products outside india upto Rs.5000 and will let you know .
Message 50 of 98
latest reply