International Purchases and Customs.

sandyjpatil
Community Member
What if I want to purchase some cunsumer electronic item an eBay USA. Do I have to pay custom duty...if "yes" then how do I pay the duty?
Sandy.
Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Dear all indian sellers/buyers. i request you to all . DO NOT KILL THE INDIAN BUSINESS. as the foreighn process is lengthy and healthy. tell buyers to away from it
Message 21 of 98
latest reply

I Mean *unhealty bcoz of dealyed deliveries/and custom duties
Message 22 of 98
latest reply

pal-2-pal
Community Member
any import duty on currency notes bought from uk?
Message 23 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi friends the customs duties for every kind of items varies.Zero to more than 150%.Some times your item may not get taxed and get out of the customs without any hassle.Whenever customs doubts your import about its value or nature your item will be hold in customs and you will have to go to the customs office where its being in hold to produce invoice and proof of purchase and other documents to take your item.

And the customs charges depends on the officer who examines the item.

Upon non-receipt of goods even after customs clearance you will have to contact the courier company.They might have paid the customs and you will have to pay the money to courier company to get the item from them.Some times certain companies would not have service to your area.In that case follow up with the courier company and arrange for alternate service.

And remember marking as gift would not reduce the customs charges.I sell watches and i usually import them.Last time for 60USD watch we incurred customs charges almost thrice the amount.

If you have any queries contact me. I will try to answer as far my knowledge is concerned.
Message 24 of 98
latest reply

taposdas
Community Member
Hi All,

I want to you a laptop from ebay.com which cost about 490$ including shipping, the shipping is done through USPS. will there be any problem clearing the Indian customs? If yes, about how much should i have to pay to claim it?
Message 25 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi taposdas yes you will have to pay Customs taxes.I do not know the exact taxing for 490$.Contact your local customs office or try ebay global easy buy.
Message 26 of 98
latest reply

dsparklezz
Community Member
Dear Natarajan,

Have you ever had to go through CHA? Does your courier company clears the items for you? I used Aramex for getting some items imorted but I was advised to get in touch with Custom House Agents for clearance.

Regards
Message 27 of 98
latest reply

thegenuinecollections
Community Member
Hi dsparklezz i have never went to CHA.My courier company always clears it.I have received packages through Aramex a lot of times and they do the clearance every time.

And from my experience FedEx packages tend to be taxed always and Aramex USPS packages most of the time do not get taxed all the times.I do really wonder about the discrepancy prevailing in this issue.

For example i received a package through USPS of customs value 60USD.It dint get taxed.

I recently received a package through FedEx of customs value 40 USD.It got taxed:-)

And for the same category item the Taxation varies.I have paid 15% , 30% and recently 40% of the customs value for the same item:-)

I think the type of taxing depends on the officer in charge:-)

And i remember that someone told me if the item is a gift and valued up to 10,000Rs it will be tax free.But it has never happened to me.

I hope you must contact a Customs Clearing Agent if you are importing high value items and its always getting hold by CHA or getting taxed excessively.They do charge a little but you won't be having hassles to go CHA always.They do all the legit jobs for you and we use them whenever necessary.

Yours sincerely,
T.Natarajan
thegenuinecollections
Message 28 of 98
latest reply

pareshwins
Community Member
Hi,

Free Samples upto the value of Rs.5,000/- are duty free.

Everything else has a duty amount associated with it, even if value is just Re.1/-

For most buyers who want to buy from ebay.com, ebay has launched globaleasybuys which is a fantastic service. You get one single quote including item cost, shipping and customs duty with clearance and works out very cheap.

I just bought one mobile from ebay.com using the global easy buy and it was a good experience. The product arrived in good condition within 10 days or so, customs cleared.

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubHomePage

Regarding CHA. Most couriers have their own clearing service and small value consignments are cleared by themselves. A CHA is required if you need to file a regular "bill of entry". A Bill of Entry is required if the value of your consignment is high, say above 50,000 inr.

Regards,

Paresh
Message 29 of 98
latest reply

dsparklezz
Community Member
Thank you pareshwins & thegenuinecolletions. Aramex never gave me such proper information. Could anyone please suggest a reputable CHA in Mumbai?

Thanks
Message 30 of 98
latest reply