Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helpful Hints For A Safe Buying Experience on eBay India

sapana@ebay.com
eBay Employee
eBay Employee
Hi,

Today’s online market offers us the convenience and choice like never before. However, By following some simple guidelines, you can ensure a pleasant buying experience:

Before Buying - Do your research

--Learn all you can about the item. Read the item description carefully. If you have any doubts about shipping, insurance and payment options, if something is unclear, use ‘Ask seller a Question’ to find out all about the item.

--Read Seller’s feedback. From the item page, click on the number in brackets after the seller's User ID. From here you'll see what other buyers have had to say about doing business with the seller. This is an important piece of information about the seller. You can alsu use ‘Contact eBay Member’ feature to ask a buyer his experience with the seller

--Research the item's value. Look at similar completed eBay listings using the completed listings search. You can also visit online shops that sell similar items and ask friends to help determine what the item is worth.

-- Make sure the item is legal and allowed. If you have any doubts as to whether the item you're interested in is allowed, check eBay's policies on prohibited, questionable and infringing items.

--Carefully read the payment options the seller accepts. Paying with a credit card is the safest way to pay, as you have some recourse if the item is not received. Some other safe payment options are – PaisaPay, cheques, money orders, demand drafts, certified cheques and other negotiable instrument, COD, Cash for in-person transactions

--Read the full auction before bidding. You cannot change the terms of an auction after you win. Make sure you fully agree with all of the terms (method of payment, time frame for payment to be received) in the listing before placing your bid.

Consider your buying options

--Determine the maximum you're willing to pay for the item. Take into consideration how much you want the item, how difficult it will be for you to find another one and how soon you need it, and determine the highest price you're willing to pay.

--Make every bid a serious one. Please don't bid if you don't intend to pay.

After You have bought

--Ensure your contact information and email address is up-to-date. Check your personal information to make sure it is correct. Also, check that any "spam" blocking software you have installed does not limit a seller from communicating with you.

--When you receive the product, Leave feedback for your seller. This will help other buyers judge the seller for future transactions.

--If you don't hear from your seller within 3 days, e-mail them.

--Read the eBay discussion boards for help with a problem that may arise. You can obtain great advice in times of need. Other eBayers are the best helpers in a problem situation.

--If you do not receive your item / Item is not as described, e-mail your seller. If you get no response, pull their contact info and call them. If their contact info phone number or e-mail address is invalid, file an invalid contact report with eBay. Make sure you file for Item Not received dispute between 10 - 60 days of buying. Remember to escalate the same to Buyer Protection claim if you need to.

However, you should make every attempt to contact your seller and allowing them to rectify the issue.

I hope the above will help you in having a pleasant eBay transaction.

Happy Buying!
Sapana
Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

mindme_in1
Community Member
Hi Sapna,

How far it is secure to deal with a ebay seller on whom you are seeing "No more Register with ebay". As at present I have a bid pending to pay in this case.

I am having some of my personal reservations to do so but I wanna advice from ebay. Seller is not registered now he don't have any item on sale lastly I don't see any of his sold items. So my question is whether it will be safe to deal with NMPHONES.

Will await for your advice.

Mindme_in1
Message 21 of 50
latest reply

damian1985girls
Community Member
Hi

My name is Damian n i am new to Ebay.
I jst wanted to knw is it safe to give ur cc info online?
And if i do process the payment for the item i buy does it mean that i have already paid for it or is it still pending until i get a varification or sumthing?

Do i get a call for verification?

Please reply quick as i have an item i have to pay for lol.

Regards
Damian
Message 22 of 50
latest reply

siddhuiitg
Community Member
I got a mail from ebay saying that i get a discount of 15% on entering a 10 alphanumeric code.But in terms and conditions there is a line

"E-Coupons shall be valid from 00:00:00 IST 23 day of October, 2007 and must be redeemed by 23:59:59 IST 30 day of October, 2007"

But even after that date i am able to get that discount by entering that 10 bit code.So is it trust worthy? Will i get the discount if i buy an item using it?
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Hi Damian,

It is safe and secure to pay thru PaisaPay. Your credit card or bank account details will not be passed to any. The process uses 132-bit encryption in a secure server. So just proceed to pay and you will receive the confirmation too after successfull transaction. Since you are new with zero feedback so, PaisaPay may call you at your registered phone number with eBay for verfication which is just a formality to ensure genuine transaction.

Hi siddhuiitg,

As per my knowledge the promotion has ended on 30th October. You should have redeemed your coupon code before 30th. I have redeemed my coupon on 30th and got the discount on my purchase. There is no harm in using the coupon for your purchase, just try it if it works.

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

bhushan4520
Community Member
How can you judge this type of mail? are these frauds ?

to Bhushan Pawar
date Nov 12, 2007 3:57 PM
subject Please Reply Urgently URGENTLY :I sent the item
signed-by yahoo.fr

Sir please understand me that I can`t use paypal now I have some problem`s with my paypal account .
I need to know if you have receive the instruction`s from eBay ????
Please go personal at Western Union office postage and send the amount of 150$ .
And you will have the item in max 12h after you will reply with the payment
Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Hi Bhushan Pawar,

You have received a spoof email. Do not send money for the said transaction. Just report the mail to eBay as spoof mail.

Regards,

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

india.is.best
Community Member
Dear All,
There is one seller :
insihozi (insihozi@yahoo.co.in) (24)

This seller is selling on auctions starting at 1 rupee ! But if you won the items at high price and he is making profit, then only he will send the items otherwise he can do all kind of tricks.

I bid on several of item from this seller and won two of the cosmetic items at Rs 30 and 51 respectively. These items were listed as Free sgipping to everywhere in India. The item numbers are : Oriflame Baby Talc (360019528207) & Oriflame Visions Lip Love Lipstick (360019527991).
First I received the payment information for both the items at more than Rs 300/- The seller added Vat and insurance multiplying the bid amount to many times. When I asked him why the insurance was charged as it was never anywhere mentioned on the item page and also taxes with very hard to find. He just removed the insurance but not the VAT @ 10%.
Anyway, I paid the items quickly with 10% surcharge.
After about 5 days, I did not received any reply/information from the seller, I mailed the seller several times and what I got the reply; please look ?? ....

hie sir since the item cost is 3 times more and i cant give you at this price so ebay will refend your money back. sorry. bye tc

Then I replied to the seller that I will do complain against him for fake auctions, now what I received back is also below:

do as you feel like.... and let me see how far you keep your word... i will wait ... bye tc...

And After being making complaint to ebay : they said that my money will be returned back because I paid with paisapay, after 10 days and to leave appropriate feedback to the seller.
I left the feedback and Guess what?? I bet you all know !
I immediately received back one Red negative to my feedback. Please do check the feedback of our both.

Now, is not ebay is helpless !!!!

I request to all who agree with me to bid and buy one item from this seller and leave him appropriate feedback. Yes, you can make new buyer id to deal with these types - so that you will not ruin your regular id.

Please help me, otherwise many other innocent buyers will be cheated by this CHEATER & FRAUD.

I also request other ebayers to open other such type of frauds and naked them in public.

Rajesh
india.is.best
Message 27 of 50
latest reply

vadanan
Community Member
It is better eBay should handle entire payment from the buyers and than shall forward to seller. 90% of the problems will come under control provided eBay takes the following action also
Verification procedure:
1. The seller should have physical address.so that one can visit in case of any problem
2. Should be with Tax registration numbers and ward location
3. Should give the PAN card number.
4. There should be proof of address ID [ a telephone bill scanned copy]
5. There should be a photo ID [ say driving licence or trade licence scanned copy ]
6. All items listed should be inclusive of VAT;shipping all india basis;transit insurance; This should be rational and uniform under any bidding head.
7. There should be a tool to upload the proof of payment immediatly. so that the seller can't claim that awaiting for the payment.
8. eBay should have minimum permenant security deposit based on the listing value from the sellers; this will reduce fake and untrustworthy sellers.
9. The policy should be fair enough to resolve any problem strictly within 15 days.
10.Ids of the buyers shall also be insisted while regestring itself.
Message 28 of 50
latest reply

nitish999
Community Member
As a buyer very bad experience with Ebay. Seller just a blank envelope without paying any tax to state givt, without proper courier information and still I didn't receive my money back.
Apply for buyer protection but now ebay is not answering any mail. Asking for confirmation for addreess for legal & consumer court notice, ebay is not replying mail also confirming the address.
BE AWARE OF DOING ANY KIND OF BUY FROM EBAY.
If anything goes wrong they will not reply.

BR//Nitish
Message 29 of 50
latest reply

radha_9941394202
Community Member
Hi I would like to bye a 2GB MP4/MP3 at convenient cost.
I found one Item on Ebay, need your clarificatio that this product included 2GB memory Card or buyer has to purchase 2GB card slot seperately.
Pls clarify
Message 30 of 50
latest reply