cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does E-bay Guarantee scheme really protect buyers?

Recently, on 9th Nov. 2014  I bought an I-ball 10.1 inch tablet on E-bay from an Indore-based seller. I paid for the item using Paisapay. The product carried Manufacturer Warranty as applicable. Upon receiving the tablet I found that the packing hologram seal was opened which meant that the seller had opened the box before shipping the product. However, the biggest disappointment came upon me when upon switching ON the tablet I found that the screen of the tablet is not in proper condition and there are "ribbed bars" appearing in the background every time I used the tablet. It was naturally very annoying to me as I did not expect to receive an item which is of defective quality since Day-1. If the seller had opened the packet before shipping, didn't he inspect the quality of the product? Why did he send me a defective product?

I promptly filed a refund claim under "Ebay Guarantee Scheme" along with a photograph of the tablet screen display which clearly showed "ribbed bars" in the background. The very next day I received a communication from E-bay informing that my claim has been rejected. REASON: The product carried Manufacturer Warranty, and under Terms & Conditions of E-Bay Guarantee Scheme, any product which carries Manufacturer's Warranty is not covered under the scheme. 

I called up E-Bay Customer Care to enquire more about the cause of rejection of claim. They told me that since my product is under Manufacturer Warranty I am not entitled to refund and therefore my claim has been rejected. They told me that I should carry the product to the Service Center for necessary repairs. 

Now my questions are:

1. Who is at fault ? Myself or the Seller?

2. If the seller has sent me a defective product with Manufacturer Warranty, isn't it reasonable for me to return the product and ask for a refund? 

3. Should the Seller be allowed to get his complete payment by selling a defective product?

4. Has E-bay Guarantee Scheme been able to protect me as a buyer? 

5. Should I be bothering myself with taking a brand new item to the Service Center for repairs on Day-1 itself? Or is it the responsibility of the seller and E-bay to get me a refund or replacement, as my requirement may be?

6. Are there existing loopholes in the E-bay Guarantee Scheme which is helping clever and unscruplous sellers in duping buyers?

Please offer me your views.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

rsrini99
Community Member

Facing Similar issue. Got defective TV. Very Expensive.  Seller and Ebay ask I contact Sony India for Manufactururer Warranty. Sony not responding favourably till date. EBAY.IN closes my Claim. Customer Service talks and says my issue is Genuinine and will aSK FOR CLAIM TO BE REOPENED. bUT TILL DATE NO RESOPONSE.  EBAY.IN is pro Seller. Indian Customers being  tasken for a ride. Consumer Courts only option.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

dosh-sach
Community Member

Dear Abhijit1984 - I see a lot of people posted comments about refunds...infact if you look closely almost every post of eBay eBay India has someone or the other writing about refund issues. It would be helpful if someone who has successfully been able to get their refund back write about how they got it? I call up customer care and they make you wait for 35-40 mins before you can talk and the give the same screwed up standard response. I tried using the esclation matrix http://deals.ebay.in/cs/cshead.html but it rejects the service number given by customer service. I have found out that there is this person @riddhi Chhabra who leads refunds..she can be reached on richhabra@ebay.com. I have mailed this person..lets see if she responds...if anyone of you have a solution please share how to get refunds back from these thieves.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Try writing to ebay managing director @Latif Nathanihttps://www.facebook.com/latifn on latif.nathani@ebay.com the ebay esclation matrix says you can connect with the country manager if issue is not resolved. I am so damn frstrated that a simple refund transaction is stuck for so long without any revert

Message 4 of 4
latest reply