Customs duty in India

nithin85
Community Member
HI, i recently purchased a graphics card for 399$(16000 INR approx)(computer hardware)from an US seller. I wanted to know if i will have any trouble with the customs? Thank you.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Customs duty in India

mihir.maniar
Community Member
Now a days the sellers clearly say that they will not mark the items as gifts as they say that it is against US Laws. Kindly someone guide us on this.
Message 11 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

Hi,

There would be a customs duty to the tune of 30% in the electronics items exceeding the value of INR 20000/-

For more information, please refer to the govt. website on customs regulations in India. I won't paste the link here as it is against eBay policy.
Message 12 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

netbizonline,

There is no customs duty on coins and stamps. Also these are collectibles items and so most of the sellers can mark them as gift.

Regards,
Mustufa
Message 13 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

anisekhar
Community Member
Hi Guys,
Recently i have bought a Nikon FE2, a 35mmFilm SLR camera from U.S.A eBay seller for $209 plus shipping charges another $32. By the time it reached my address, postman came up with a customs note asking for Rs.2,999. The camera wouldn't fall under electronics category and on top of that, its nearly 26 year old used camera. I didn't take the camera after i saw the custom duty note. I got atleast four other cameras earlier from international sellers and i had never this kind of a problem even with expensive camera than this. Right now its still at the post office. Can any one guide me to get out of this irrational customs duty?
Message 14 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

nishant1991
Community Member
hey i had bought an 1yr used playstation3 console from Ebay(us site) for $115(Rs.5000 approx)...in india it cost around Rs.23000..do i need to pay any customs duty on it..???if yes how much would it be..????and what would be the process after it got delivered to india..???
Message 15 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

Ebay India site is very slow these days.Does anybody know the reason.It is really a serious problem while bidding/paying online.I would like to invite views of other ebay users.
thanks
Message 16 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

If you are in other Cities other than WEST BENGAL then you wont have any trouble with the Postal Custom House.

If the item is used and valued lower then the Customs would only charge about 20 to 30% of the value as Custom fees.

I wont recommend GEB as they overcharges (shipping, duties, etc) and they are very very slow and even you wont be able to know about your order status as there is no one to reply to your queries.
You would save money, time if you order directly from the seller on ebay.com

I have very sad experiences with the GEB and have discontinued using them.
Message 17 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

sai_ganapathi
Community Member
Hi,
I have purchased a camcorder from USA on ebay.com for $5.5+ shipping $45.5. the seller shipped the item promptly after making the payment thru paypal.

Now i have received a show cause notice from customs department, chennai stating it is a restricted item and give the explanation why penal action cannot be taken? more over they have assessed the value of the camcorder for Rs.9000/-.

What should i do now? cos lot of people from india might be buying from other countries as the items are available at cheaper prices.

can canyone suggest what should i do now.

Thanks in advance,
Message 18 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

@sai_ganapathi: You have already posted the same question on a new thread. Don't hijack this thread from the issue at hand
Message 19 of 87
latest reply

Customs duty in India

Hi
Recently purchased a remote control for $22 + $15 as shipping total paid Rs 1765. it will be shipped in a week. do i need to pay any custom duty if yes then how? please reply ASAP.
Message 20 of 87
latest reply